The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finished detailing the passenger side of the esprit including the top.
The light is much much better on the west side of the garage so I took the car around the block and back it in the garage so I can detail the drivers side in good light.

What I did notice driving around the block was that the steering wheel is off-set about 15 degrees in order to drive straight and the feel did not feel right.
I realize that this car is manual steering which is no problem for me, but it felt sort of inderect and not precise. Btw, Idid not go faster than 15mph.
Have to start to call up some good people and figure out whats the deal.
Also the drivers side front is a bit lower than the right.

I purchased this vehicle from a distance and I still have hope the prior owner was honest.
After all he did deliver it and we had a good time talking cars.:shrug:

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Look for oil on the front springs
You might have a blown damper

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Check the air pressure in the tires. Set it to what the tire pressure decal says. If that doesn't fix it you may have something worn or bent in the suspension or the frame or you could have a stuck caliper. When you let the car roll does it stop quickly or does it keep rolling? When you hit the brakes does it stop straight or is it turning to one side?
David Teitelbaum

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the air pressure in the tires. Set it to what the tire pressure decal says. If that doesn't fix it you may have something worn or bent in the suspension or the frame or you could have a stuck caliper. When you let the car roll does it stop quickly or does it keep rolling? When you hit the brakes does it stop straight or is it turning to one side?
David Teitelbaum
Hello.
The vehicle is very easy to push fore and aft.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alignment.
Worn ball joints.
Worn steering rack.

lift the front with a jack. Shake the wheel side to side and up and down. Look for play in the top and bottom ball joints, and in the tie-rod ends and steering rack.
Everyone, Thanks for your input.
I do not think that thereis a problem with the steering rack.
There is no lag in input.

·
Registered
861 Posts
My steering feels vary vague on center too..... certainly can't be right as people always talk about how precise the steering is on an Esprit. I have a feeling that the rack is worn, but haven't really looked into it much.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Some of the 1988 up Esprits had a problem with the crush cage on the steering column fracturing and breaking causing excessive steering movement.

Worth checking.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,318 Posts
Worn upper ball joints are a common problem. Travis mentioned how to check.The BJs are the same as those used in a Triumph Spitfire.

-eek-

Check them (also, re-torque the suspension mounting hardware, part of the B service) before going "nutz" replacing parts.

Front wheel bearing preload is another overlooked watchpoint. The wheels should not "knock" when pulled up & down and back and forth either. (Wheels off the ground) They need to be re-packed with grease every few years, also.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
If the brakes are not dragging does the car at least go straight or does it want to go off to one side or the other? If it is rolling straight you may just need to "center" the steering wheel. See if it turns equally side to side and the tie rod end adjustments look about equal. It may just be the steering wheel has to be removed and centered or the tie rod ends need to be adjusted. If the steering doesn't feel tight and precise you may have worn ball joints. Grease them and see if that helps. Might be time to go to an alignment rack and have the car checked out.
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,318 Posts
I was going to suggest checking the steering column universal joints too, some owners reported replacing them in the past.

Then I re-read Mike's comment "there is no steering lag", so maybe not...

·
Super Moderator
4,181 Posts
Alignment.
Worn ball joints.
Worn steering rack.

lift the front with a jack. Shake the wheel side to side and up and down. Look for play in the top and bottom ball joints, and in the tie-rod ends and steering rack.
Ugh. I recently replaced my front hubs to 58mm and had new tires/wheels (alignment). Ball joints seemed fine.

My steering wheel at rest can move 1/16" - 1/8" inches (?) without action. There are no usual noises. Sometimes, it *seems* tight while driving (maybe wishful thinking here).

Car tracks straight - love that 1.5 degrees of caster.

Assume that's a worn rack or universal joints?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Is that from a non-airbag car?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts