The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt know how else to do the title so that will have to do.

I am not new to the site (I had another user name but couldnt remember what it was so had made this new one), I have been reading and watching for over a year now.

I have been debating and Elise for a while and I am still planning on getting one next summer but right now my attention is focused on something I need the Techs to help me with.

Steering! It is well known that the Lotus is infamous for its precision steering. I have not had the oppotunity to see a phish of the steering sector or the suspension.

Questions...

1. Can anyone give detail on the steering sector?
2. Anyone have diagrams of the front suspension?
3. Places I could look for a possible wrecked Elise/Exige to buy the front suspension/steering setup.

I sold my Mazda MX3 that I have had since it was new in 1992, with 283,000 miles on the body and the 5th motor sitting at 460 whp F/I 2.5 V6. I have been talking to a member of LT that lives here in Alabama and I am hoping to get a look at his set up to see what kind of Fabrication I can come up with.

For the past 6 years I have been designing and custom fabricating bike frames that I have built and tested on Barber Motor Speedway. On Christmas day my shop was broken into and all my weld jigs, welder and every tool I owned was stolen. (around $7000-8000) Alot of it I had inherited from my Grandfather who was a Mechanic for the Air Force for many years and was aviation grade hand tools. (worth more in sentiment than actual worth)

I have not had the heart to start building my welding fixtures again and instead am going to turn my sites on a Custom built car body that I am aiming at no more than 800 lbs before motor/tranny. It will be powered by a 1.0L Turbo Charged 3 Cylinder from a Geo Metro. (dont laugh)

I am expecting 200+/- whp at 15 lbs of boost with 40-45 miles per gallon. Currently the motor that is in the car has been tested and has gotten 52 mpg on one tank and 51 on the second.

If anyone can give some insite to the make up, special characteristics or schematics of the Elise/Exige steering I would REALLY appreciate it. I am building this for a Track Car and will be looking getting an Elise for my weekend driver next summer once this project is complete.

Best Regards,

Matthew

·
Registered
138 Posts
Matthew,

There are exploded views of the suspension in the factory repair manual. It is downloadable via .pdf and then you can print whatever you want. The directions are somewhere here on this site. Basically, pay $30 or so for a 1 day licence, download all files, print at will.
Everything is normal, old fashion race car stuff. Double A-arms, all tubes, ball joint on the outside and stiff bushings for the inner pivots. Coilovers from the frame to the lower a-arms. rack and pinion steering. Clever front steering arm/knuckle design so you can change camber without changing toe.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts