The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
craigyirush
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears my Elise is having a mid-life (50k miles) crisis.

Had to replace the stock radiator last month; and now I have a clunk in the steering (audible when the car is at rest and the wheel is turned side to side).

The guys at DRS here in LA checked it out yesterday and are sure it's the rack.

An OEM rack from Lotus is going to cost me $605.

Is there an aftermarket rack that is better quality (i.e., won't fail like the stock ones)? Or has the OEM rack been improved?

This older thread lists several racks, including one from Elise parts, which sounds good. Is the Titan QR that Sector used to sell, iirc, still available? I should add that I am more interested in durability than in a quicker rack.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/titan-qr-steering-rack-reviews-91949/

PS I did read this very informative thread but I'm pretty sure it's the rack.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/little-clunks-steering-not-steering-rack-thread-78381/)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
The Titan rack is worth the money. Don't replace with factory as it will break again. Eliseparts sell them at a good price. I stopped in to see Titan last month and they are still making them. I may carry them again as I do love the performance and durability.

·
craigyirush
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
craigyirush
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't go back to the OEM rack. I had an essentially new car as far as mileage is concerned and the rack went bad. You can get a quicker ratio or stock ratio from a couple of sources.

post #272: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/5763642-post272.html -BTW, most of the issues in that thread ended out being related to problems with the rack :)
Did you replace yours with an aftermarket rack and if so which one?

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
My 2005 Elise had the rack replaced under warranty. I replaced it again with an OEM after warranty was up. Third time I went with aftermarket quick ratio. No problems since. Quick ratio did not make the steering twitchy or noticeably harder.

·
craigyirush
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 2005 Elise had the rack replaced under warranty. I replaced it again with an OEM after warranty was up. Third time I went with aftermarket quick ratio. No problems since. Quick ratio did not make the steering twitchy or noticeably harder.
Wow, OEM rack replaced twice!

Do you recall what make the aftermarket rack was?

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
337 Posts
I replaced my stock steering rack with a Titan QR rack. Install was a bitc* due to a unfortunate placed rivnut in the rack tunnel. Once in, the tighter turn lock to lock (2.5 vs. 2.75) doesn't make the car too twitchy. I couldn't even notice it the following day.

To triage, I was able to put the car on a lift and reach up to the rack and give a downward pull. I could feel the loose bushings.

It might be worth it to source from the UK and have it shipped. It is a DYI job if you take your time but I suggest an alignment after the install though...

·
Less is Better
2,565 Posts
I'll add to @JFHughes8088 comment on DIY. It's a MUCH easier job if 2 people are doing it. There's alot of placing and manipulating of the rack position on installation and it helps alot to have someone in the car and someone in the wheel well while doing it.

I also agree that the quicker rack is nothing but goodness. There is really no increase in twitchiness. In fact, the new rack reduces a bit of bump steer.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
337 Posts
I'll add to @JFHughes8088 comment on DIY. It's a MUCH easier job if 2 people are doing it. There's alot of placing and manipulating of the rack position on installation and it helps alot to have someone in the car and someone in the wheel well while doing it.

I also agree that the quicker rack is nothing but goodness. There is really no increase in twitchiness. In fact, the new rack reduces a bit of bump steer.
Definitely agree that a helper is advised. Manipulating (turning) the rack to get the post through the hole so it enters the footwell was challenging - Just no room in there.

·
craigyirush
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, all. I'm leaning towards an aftermarket rack, and considering one with a quicker ratio.

Is this the Titan QR that Sector used to sell?

https://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/72/463/ep-tuning-quickrack/

They also have an upgraded rack with the standard ratio (also, I assume, made by Titan?)

https://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/72/467/standard-ratio-steering-rack/

Has anyone had any experience with this Hurricane rack from Elise shop? They claim it reduces bump steer.

Hurricane Steering Rack (Elise, Exige, 340R, Speedster) [SRTO] - €459.99 : Elise Shop, Performance parts for your Lotus Elise

Also, I don't have the time or the skills to do this myself (even with help). What is a reasonable shop time to replace the rack? I realize that the toe needs adjusting after.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,268 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts