The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
hello
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to debug an issue with the car and I am looking to see if people have some suggestions.

I recently got the car serviced and replaced my worn out bushings and replaced a failing steering rack with sector's titanrack (2.5 turns instead of 2.75 turns). The shop also did an alignment after replacing the failing parts.

The car goes straight but the wheel is slightly tilted on the left when this happens. Normally I would think this is due to incorrect toe or perhaps a tie rod issue.

However, when I turn the wheel all the way to one or the other side, the wheel stops at different positions. All the way left stops at the 90 degree position, whereas all the way right stops a couple of inches before that. Now I am thinking that this is the mounting of the steering columns in the rack that is off.

Any thoughts about what might be the issue would be appreciated.

I am attaching 3 photos to illustrate this (straight, all right, all left)

Attachments

·
hello
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments! My understanding is fairly limited on this topic, so this is very useful.

If I got this right, it seems potentially they would have to put the car back on the alignment machine, check for the center of the rack and then center the steering column. Looks like I have to verify a couple of steps myself to make sure it gets addressed properly.

.... and to clarify, NASCAR and dirt tracks are not in my plans :)

·
hello
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am surprised to hear other people had the same issue. With something so easy to verify (turn the wheel all the way one way or the other) I am a little upset the shop that did the alignment is not testing for it. I scheduled to take it back and hopefully get it fixed.

·
hello
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I fixed the issue, the shop had not centered the rack and that caused the problem. Thanks for all the feedback.

By the way, the titan rack is a nice upgrade if your steering rack fails. But if my rack was not failing, I would have stayed with the stock one. Not that big of a difference otherwise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts