The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
now I have a new sound. The clunks are gone and the steering (Titan QR) feels great and responsive. Problem is that now when I take hard turns, i hear something sliding across the car. Then it appears to make a loud clunk like the object is hitting the side of the car.

Needless to say, I'll be taking my car back to the dealer for them to check it out, however I won't have time to do that for a couple of weeks. In the meantime, curiosity is killing me.

Anyone experience this before?

Is the steering rack replaced by going from under the car via the front undertray?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
If you take off one of the front wheels, you can see the "tunnel" in the extrusion that the steering rack is mounted in (see the red arrow below)... with a flashlight, you'll be able to see from one side to the other... maybe something was left in there? :crazyeyes

Attachments

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called the dealer this morning. No reports of missing tools.

apk919, thanks. i'll have to take a look when i get some time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had the same problem. Thought I had misplaced a tool. To make long story short, the problem was this rack has no gear oil, only greased joints. I re-greased the inner track rod joints and for good measure added some gear oil to the rack. Try massaging grease into the inner joints without removing the rubber boots. You maybe lucky otherwise it will have to be removed to re-grease the joints.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Take a look at your shock oil resevoirs (located under the wheel well liner and at rear of the wheel well) to see if they have slipped out of their zip ties. Mine did on the driver's side and made a similar sound.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same problem. Thought I had misplaced a tool. To make long story short, the problem was this rack has no gear oil, only greased joints. I re-greased the inner track rod joints and for good measure added some gear oil to the rack. Try massaging grease into the inner joints without removing the rubber boots. You maybe lucky otherwise it will have to be removed to re-grease the joints.
Thanks for the tip but I'm a little confused. How would this cause a sliding sound?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take a look at your shock oil resevoirs (located under the wheel well liner and at rear of the wheel well) to see if they have slipped out of their zip ties. Mine did on the driver's side and made a similar sound.
oooh, this sounds promising.

the "sliding tool" sound sounds like the "object" is heavy/dense. Sounds more like locking pliers than a screwdriver.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I vote it's a 3-lb sledge in the boot.

xtn

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I vote it's a 3-lb sledge in the boot.

xtn
Nope. I only have some towels, the lotus tool bag, my front license plate, and the AS SEEN ON TV California Car Duster. The battery is still securely in place. ;)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,357 Posts
now I have a new sound. The clunks are gone and the steering (Titan QR) feels great and responsive. Problem is that now when I take hard turns, i hear something sliding across the car. Then it appears to make a loud clunk like the object is hitting the side of the car.
Glad you like the rack. Sounds like a part was left in your car. Let us know what the dealer finds.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you take off one of the front wheels, you can see the "tunnel" in the extrusion that the steering rack is mounted in (see the red arrow below)... with a flashlight, you'll be able to see from one side to the other... maybe something was left in there? :crazyeyes
I had a chance tonight to look in the tunnel from both ends. I only see the bright yellow Titan QR.

What is odd is that whatever is moving around seemed to jam my steering wheel twice for a split second.

btw, would a loose shock oil reservoir affect steering? doesn't seem like it should.

at this point i don't feel that it is safe to drive my car. i will save it for the drive to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
i just got mine and mine also makes some weird clunking noises. i figured its normal. i did notice that its a tiny bit tighter steering but have you noticed that you dont have as good of a turning radius?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I don't get clunking noises like I did with the old worn OEM rack. I don't think clunking should be considered normal.

I agree that the Titan QR makes the steering feel a little heavier but I expected and like that.

Haven't really checked on the turning radius.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
my car makes so many new noises since i got the new engine mounts. i am not really sure where they are all coming from. my car rattles alot in the lower rpm, but get lets rattles at idle and higher rpm. your right the steering does feel heavier.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,683 Posts
Could it be a front tire rubbing?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Could it be a front tire rubbing?
If you're asking me, I don't think so.

I recently went from 195's to 215's but I don't think the sounds I get match that. Plus most recently I've been getting metal on metal type rattling even at a standstill.

I hope the dealer has an open slot tomorrow.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had a chance tonight to look in the tunnel from both ends. I only see the bright yellow Titan QR.

What is odd is that whatever is moving around seemed to jam my steering wheel twice for a split second.

btw, would a loose shock oil reservoir affect steering? doesn't seem like it should.

at this point i don't feel that it is safe to drive my car. i will save it for the drive to the dealer.
'' Whatever is moving around seemed to jam my steering wheel twice for a split second""....... Please do not drive this car.
If your people cannot inspect it for you, I will at no charge.
Don.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
'' Whatever is moving around seemed to jam my steering wheel twice for a split second""....... Please do not drive this car.
If your people cannot inspect it for you, I will at no charge.
Don.
That's why guys like Don deserve every bit of business he can get from the owners who are within a reasonable distance of him.

xtn

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I managed to get my car to the dealer this morning. I drove it there gently. Sure enough as I pulled into their driveway, I started hearing a lot of rattling and vibrating. Seemed to be coming from the right front wheel area. As I tried to pulled into the parking spot, the steering started jamming again. So I had to leave it parked diagonally for fear of causing more damage. It was a good thing that this didn't happen to me on a turn and it was good that the tech could then experience it for himself.

So the finding? Not sure! Couldn't find a mysterious object. The tech (and I) looked all around. The biggest finding was a loose front passenger side lower control arm bolt. Could this cause the steering to jam if the geometry is off enough?

After that both the tech and I took turns taking test drives. No more problems. Very strange!

Everything seems to be fine now. I'm keeping an eye on it. Still can't explain the "sliding object" sound.

I really want to make sure the problem is solved. My goal when getting this car was to make it to the track. I've had to get a new tranny, a new steering rack, and new tires. I thought I was finally ready until this issue reared its ugly head. Scares me to think what would have happened if I didn't find out until on the track while in a turn.

Thanks for the offer, Don. Where is your shop?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts