The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my way to order the TitanQR.
My knowledge of mecanic is not really good.
I asked my mecano how much time he think it could take to change the steering rack and the universal joint and he asked me to find some information on the web... There is a lot of good information on the forum, but i can't find a tutorial for a steering rack removal/installation... Anyone could drive me to the good thread, website or step by step??

I also find this, anyone ever tried this before changing the steering rack? Worth it?
How to Fix a Lotus Elise Steering Rack | eHow.com

Thanks for help.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Considering the ammount of work required, like removing front clam, you would have to be a moron to send your car to someone you already have concerns with.

·
He's on fire!
3,205 Posts
you asked your mechanic how long it would take and he said do a google search? I don't think that bodes well.

With either route you'll have to pay for a new alignment as well as rack removal and installation. I haven't seen this article before, but I think the question is, are you ok with paying 2x the cost for alignment and rack installation if the ehow article doesn't work?

Now I'm curious if anyone else has found the ehow article though, most racks I've heard of get replaced.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My car is pretty much completely apart and I also know I need an alignment. Though there isn't anything wrong with my steering I like the idea of properly setting the pre-load on it. I think maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks for finding the article...

Also a mechanic who says go find me instructions isn't much better than finding the instructions and doing it yourself. At the very least it's not great customer service to make you find the info when you are paying him to fix it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, i didn't express myself correctly, he asked me for technical information, he is a friend of mine, i totally trust him. I'm just looking for a tutorial for help. I know he will take a look at the service manual and let me know, but i thought i could ask here for more informations from people who already did it.
I was told i don't need to remove the front shell to do that tough.

Considering the ammount of work required, like removing front clam, you would have to be a moron to send your car to someone you already have concerns with.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Sector gives a nice guide for the DIYer. I chose to have it done at a shop, it took 5 hours + an align.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Yes, I asked for it in advance to see how hard the job was and they wouldn't give it. I can understand, it looks like someone took a lot of time putting it together. Altogether very happy with the rack.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
FWIW, you don't have to pull the clam to replace the steering rack. It's not a very technical job, but you need two hands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts