The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a steering wheel shake at all speeds above 70mph on most surfaces. I have two wheel/tire combos, they are both balanced and true, I get the shake problem with either combo. Also, alignment is relatively new and i sincerely doubt it is a big contributor to the problem.

If you put the front wheels in the air and try to shake them left-right (the same direction they turn when steering), the only movement you get should directly go to the steering wheel. If someone holds the wheel, there should be no slop. (at least that's what I observed in the past.)

Now, recently I noticed the right side has a bit of steering slop. For example if you just barely turn the steering wheel left-right-left-right, the movement doesn't directly translate to the hub assy. When I put my hand on the tie rod rubber boot (gaiter in the lotus manual), I can feel some slop through the rubber boot. What joint is inside this boot, and what do I need to do to replace it? The factory service book doesn't get into much detail here.

thanks and cheers!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'm not sure if you mean the outer tie-rod or inner, but it sounds like you are referring to the inner. The gator on the rack end protects the inner tie rod end. If the joint is bad, generally with the right tool (don't know any part number, so can't help you there, sorry) you unscrew the old one and screw in a new one. The rack is easy to remove on our cars, so maybe it's easiest to remove it and get it in a vise to work on it. I imagine Lotus Elise Parts, eliseparts.com can help you with the right tool, and perhaps instructions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts