The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a momo steering wheel for the elise and i'm wondering if any one of you know where can i get the adapter to fit in to the car and if you have part # will really appreciate it very much?

·
Registered
468 Posts
As I understand

the Elise comes with a momo steering wheel. Not sure if they have various sizes or if the air bag causes a problem.

Another question that I have does the steering wheel quick release still allow the air bag to work?

have fun

Nick

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Re: As I understand

Nick said:

Another question that I have does the steering wheel quick release still allow the air bag to work?
I'm under the impression that the quick release steering wheel is a whole wheel that does not have an airbag at all.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have an extra quick release and adapter

for a MoMo wheel. Email me if you are interested.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
This is what eliseparts sells, it's the kit and DOES NOT include the wheel.

No airbag with this either.

BTW>Perry have you removed your airbag wheel?

This is for a euro 111S, so I'm pretty sure you'll have to do some mods.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
jplotus said:
I just received my lotus removable steering wheel. this is a momo wheel . were can i find the instructions to remove the wheel without triggering the air bag. Thanks
Do you have pictures of it by any chance?

·
Registered
136 Posts
You should all replace your airbags with the item in the picture below. It may not be as effective but at least you'd die happy.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Did anyone manage to get a Quick Release steering wheel fitted to a US Spec Elise?

I drove one in the UK some time ago, and really liked the ease of entry and exit with the QR wheel. Is it possible to ditch the airbag wheel and go for a QR set up here in the US. I know the shaft and hub fittment aren't compatible with the EU cars, but I'm hoping someone has that figured by now.

·
Registered
803 Posts
macfly said:
I drove one in the UK some time ago, and really liked the ease of entry and exit with the QR wheel. Is it possible to ditch the airbag wheel and go for a QR set up here in the US. I know the shaft and hub fittment aren't compatible with the EU cars, but I'm hoping someone has that figured by now.
The shaft and splines are identical between the 111R (Euro version) and the Federal version. It is possible to fit both the quick release and the original 111R wheels to the Federal Elise.

However, the whole dash(!) is different between the 111R and the Federal cars. This means the plastic surround that covers the turn indicator switches, wiper switches, and column locks is different.

You also will not have an air bag (with no implied judgement on your personal decision...)

You can find more information and pictures about the conversions on my website:

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/experience/modifications/index.html

(look towards the bottom)

Michael

(edited to fix grammer)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Wow,

I love all of your mods, the mesh looks really sharp, and the mirror is a great idea too, the wheel is a must for me......can you do them for me please??!!

I only drive to, from and on the track, that is my Elise's only mission, so having no airbag in the wheel isn't a huge worry, but getting out fast at the track is.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I just had a QR steering-wheel installed today - works great. Yvo from www.elise-shop.com carries the Momo wheel w/ the proper adapter plate for the Federal Elise.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Have you figured out how to disable the "Airbag" light on the dash?

·
Registered
960 Posts
BZRD69 said:
I just had a QR steering-wheel installed today - works great. Yvo from www.elise-shop.com carries the Momo wheel w/ the proper adapter plate for the Federal Elise.
BZRD69, any pictures of your new wheel and the effected areas, e.g. plastic shroud?

Also, I believe there have been discussions about wiring in a resistor to the airbag connection to keep the light from coming on. I'm not sure the actual resistance was determined though...

1 - 20 of 154 Posts