The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
edaddy said:
BZRD69, any pictures of your new wheel and the effected areas, e.g. plastic shroud?

Also, I believe there have been discussions about wiring in a resistor to the airbag connection to keep the light from coming on. I'm not sure the actual resistance was determined though...
The horn is now located in the middle of Momo wheel (w/ orig. Lotus emblem). Will take pictures & submit to interested parties. Would love more info from anyone w/ more on resistor & actual "do-it-yourself" wiring.
Cheers!

·
Registered
323 Posts
BZRD69 said:
The horn is now located in the middle of Momo wheel (w/ orig. Lotus emblem). Will take pictures & submit to interested parties. Would love more info from anyone w/ more on resistor & actual "do-it-yourself" wiring.
Cheers!
Here are a few pics w/ the new QR Momo Wheel installed. http://www.elise-shop.com
If anyone knows exactly how to disable the "airbag light" on dash - it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone would like to see more pics of steering wheel - please email me.

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
macfly said:
That looks awesome.....is the wheel a little smaller, or the same size as OEM? Please do send more pix, fitting details etc. - [email protected]
The new QR Momo wheel is the same size...Yvo at elise-parts.com offers a longer boss - for those w/ short arms! I went w/ the standard size - same feel as the OEM wheel. Please make sure when ordering that you specify "Federal Elise" - it uses a totally different hub than the Euro model. The fitment took less than an hr. but still having to sort out the "airbag light" on the dash.
For all those considering this mod, please install & use a 5-point harness - Always!

cheers,
Jack

·
Registered
960 Posts
I found a wheel in the US here that looks like BZRD69's and it's priced right. The company says they don't know of a non-quick release adapter for the Elise though.

Does anyone know where to get an adapter that does not allow the wheel to be disconnected?:shrug:

Also, has anybody figured out the resistance needed to keep the light out?

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Stick a resistor in there. 2.2 something resistor...I forget. Did it years ago. I bet most any resistor would work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Echo that! The resistor is the trick. Now.. I've had the same problem in my Esprit where a 2.2 Ohm resistor didn't exactly work so I have put a 10 Ohm / 10 turn potentiometer in the cable and tuned it untill the light went off.

Works a treat :)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Bump!

Has anyone successfully installed a resistor in the driver's side airbag circuit to remove the light?

If so, what is the impedance?

·
Registered
55 Posts
erm.. try the potentiometer (10 Ohm, 10 turn) it'll work a treat.. really :)

·
Registered
925 Posts
I'm pretty sure a 2.2 will work, but if thats notletting enough juice thru, then try two, then three resistors (parallel, not in series)

Again....one or two 2.2 and be done with it!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
YvoTuk said:
erm.. try the potentiometer (10 Ohm, 10 turn) it'll work a treat.. really :)
If you pick the wrong impedance and the airbag light goes on can you adjust it so that the light will go out?

Or do you have to use the scan tool to remove the code and then try again?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Go find out.

Just unplug your seatbelt or another part of the bag system...set off the MIL, then re-plug....did it go out, or do you need to reset? Do you need a scan tool, or can you just "re-bOot" by pulling the fuse and replacing?

Easy enough to find out.TADTS

Come on back and let us know.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
turbo2nr said:
Go find out.

Just unplug your seatbelt or another part of the bag system...set off the MIL, then re-plug....did it go out, or do you need to reset? Do you need a scan tool, or can you just "re-bOot" by pulling the fuse and replacing?

Easy enough to find out.TADTS

Come on back and let us know.
Thanks! As I'm hardly the first to do this I thought I could get the answer from someone who had done it already. Unfortunately, this is not high on my list. When I figure it out I will let everyone know.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I found a site with the Esprit resistor value - maybe the Elise is the same:shrug:

It's here

A quote:
"I started at 25 ohms and slowly reduced the resistance value until the light went out. This happened at about 2.2 ohms. Once I had the correct value, it was simply a matter of replacing it with a fixed value resistor (you can use Radio Shack part #271-1121) and voila, no more annoying tell tale light. To make the installation look more professional, I bought an inline fuse holder from Radio Shack as well (part # 270-1213). I then trimmed and bent the ends of the resistor and inserted it into the fuse holder. I trimmed the length of the wires from the fuse holder and attached crimp connectors that match the one on the airbag connector. Here's a picture of what the device looks like. "

·
Registered
323 Posts
taken from: Karl-Franz Marquez KFM Industries, Inc. http://www.espritfactfile.com
Here's a pic:
I'm goin to Radio Shack now to give this a try.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
If you can simply hunt for the correct impedance with a potentiometer and then replace it with a resistor it's a piece of cake.

·
Registered
803 Posts
finding the right resistor value

Once the air bag light has come on, it will not go off unless you reset it using the scan tool.

You cannot put a pot or sample of resistors in the circuit and expect the light to go out. Once it has turned on you can only try another value after you have used the scan tool to turn it off.

I suggest someone with the tool try the values and see what works. Then those of you who have removed the air bags can put the correct resistor value in line and go to your local Lotus shop to have the air bag light reset.

Common OBD II tools will not reset the air bag light.

Michael

21 - 40 of 154 Posts