The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
sandsmuseum said:
Once the air bag light has come on, it will not go off unless you reset it using the scan tool.

You cannot put a pot or sample of resistors in the circuit and expect the light to go out. Once it has turned on you can only try another value after you have used the scan tool to turn it off.

I suggest someone with the tool try the values and see what works. Then those of you who have removed the air bags can put the correct resistor value in line and go to your local Lotus shop to have the air bag light reset.

Common OBD II tools will not reset the air bag light.

Michael
Thank you Michael. I figured this was the way it worked.

I would be willing to arrange to do this but will, of course, have to pay for the labor time. Does any private party have a scanner in the North East?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yeah, wish I had known that about the airbag light -- mine is still on!

They're going to clear it for me the next time I go in... sigh... all because I forgot to plug it back in one time and reconnected the battery for a moment...

But I'm interested to hear the guy (sorry don't remember who) adding more resistors in parallel... if you are putting them in parallel for current just increase the wattage (the way your response sounded) -- putting more in parallel decreases the resistance (and in so doing the current capability but that is secondary) by (# of identical resistors/R) if my rusty memory serves....

Cheers

·
Registered
323 Posts
edaddy said:
Please let us know.... I'll be right behind you - if it works:D
Edaddy, sorry its taken soo long, but the Radio Shack part # given is for a 2k ohm resistor. Still tryin to source a 2 ohm or 2.5 ohm resistor.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
PsychoRallye said:
adding more resistors in parallel...
I don't remember who it was, but the resistors were in parallel because he couldn't find and 2.2 ohm resistors and only had 4.4. ohm resistors.

From the other thread, I got the impression that turning off the car re-connecting the airbag, and restarting the car caused it to go through it's self check and turn the light back off.

Which way is it? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Yup, two ways to do this... two 4.4ohm resistors in parallel, OR one 2.2ohm resistor (available from radioshack as part of a 12 dollar bag of resistors) and the light will go out once the resistor is wired in and the car turned off and back on again.

Cade

·
Registered
357 Posts
To wrap things up on airbag light / removable wheel...

Jack,

Did you finally get the airbag light out? Final Solution? Do you have a picture with the wheel disconnected? How often do you remove the wheel? I LOVE THIS MOD! Anything else we should know before moving forward on this mod?

Thanks! :up:

·
Registered
323 Posts
mchristian said:
Jack,

Did you finally get the airbag light out? Final Solution? Do you have a picture with the wheel disconnected? How often do you remove the wheel? I LOVE THIS MOD! Anything else we should know before moving forward on this mod?

Thanks! :up:
Matt,
No, never sorted the airbag light. Don' t really remove the wheel that often.
More of a novelty for myself, it is pretty cool just snapping on the wheel & cruising away :shift:
Nothing negative about this mod - its all good! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
960 Posts
I've found an adapter that looks like it will work here. While it is not "snap-off", it is only $45:clap:. I have ordered it and will let everyone know if it fits when it arrives.

·
Registered
853 Posts
airbag light

I have installed the 111R UK steering wheel. The tell tale light will not go out with any of the resistors. I have actually plugged the connector back into the airbag and it flashes in the same fashion as when I turned off the car, and installed the resistor from radio shack. My thought is that the dealer need to turn it off once it has been computer has been triggered.
Can anyone confirm this or perhaps offer a different method for turning off the lamp? Many Thanks, Robert

·
Registered
960 Posts
I"m thinking of installing the resistors right away, before reconnecting the battery. If they don't keep the light from coming on, the bulb will be sacrificed.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
wrong :)

As far as I know that adapter doesn't have the boltspacing as needed in the federal Elise. Our 30mm and shortly our 15mm as well has the correct boltspacing.
We are facing some supply problems with the snap off adapters which seems to be solved in a couple of weeks. As soon as that has happened, we will be able to supply adapters / steeringwheel kits etc.

erm... that's funny.. I was posting a reply for edaddy about a 30mm spacer which he found elsewere!? I guess the forum software hicked up..

As for the resistor, wrong aswell... I've also tried these on my Esprit. It didn't work. I ended up hooking up this potentiometer and turned it untill the light went off.

From what I know, the MIL light will not be set by messing around with the airbag, isn't there a specific airbag light in the dash? If it does trigger the MIL, the trick is simply to correct the problem by putting in the potentiometer and drive the car. The MIL system checks the error everytime, if it is gone and it stays away, the MIL lamp will be switched off. The error will still be in the log, but that's not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
YvoTuk said:
wrong :)

As far as I know that adapter doesn't have the boltspacing as needed in the federal Elise. Our 30mm and shortly our 15mm as well has the correct boltspacing.
This is true....how do I know this? :D

Do you have a part number for the 15mm and 30mm adapter that will work with the US spec Elise?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mind you, these spacers are designed to connect the car hub to the snap off adapter. They will not directly fit between the cur hub and the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
YvoTuk said:
Mind you, these spacers are designed to connect the car hub to the snap off adapter. They will not directly fit between the cur hub and the steering wheel.
I understand. I have an adapter that fits to the snap off adapter but does not fit to the hub.

I was assured that it fit the federal hub and it does not.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know.. it's different :)

We found out the hard way, but we did get it right :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Quick update: I installed a 300 mm Momo Team wheel without stap-off almost 2 weeks ago. 23 mm thick adapter positions the wheel perfectly for me - slightly further than the stock wheel but plenty of room from the turn and wiper stalks. 2 ohm resistor keeps the airbag light off....as I learned on a second try. Overall, a great mod.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
In my 2006 Federal Exige I wish to install a Momo wheel WITH snap-off capability, and would like the mounted position 1" CLOSER to the driver than stock. As soon as somebody can give me the solution I'll buy the parts.

xtn

41 - 60 of 154 Posts