The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 80 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
My kit should be here any day from Elise-shops, thank you for this thread. I did get the correct approvals from the government to get rid of the airbags for both the drivers and passengers side. The disconnect for the passenger side has already been installed.

While I realize the disconnect steering wheel is not "legal", I still think it is the way to go.

Thanks for the advise on turning the light off, we will do the install with this knowledge so that it goes smoothly.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
960 Posts
MyElise said:
Please give me the link to the adapter (23mm) that will fit the Lotus snap-off fitting and the US spec hub.
The kit comes with 15 and/or 30 mm adapters, I believe. I bought my non snap-off adapter somewhere else. It works.... but took some "adapting" its self for the FED Elise.

Overall, I'm glad I wound up with this thickness.

Because the snap-off part adds to the thickness, you might want to find out about the combined total, i.e. 15mm + snap-off =? It's probably slightly thicker than my 23mm total, without snap-off.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
edaddy said:
The kit comes with 15 and/or 30 mm adapters, I believe. I bought my non snap-off adapter somewhere else. It works.... but took some "adapting" its self for the FED Elise.

Overall, I'm glad I wound up with this thickness.

Because the snap-off part adds to the thickness, you might want to find out about the combined total, i.e. 15mm + snap-off =? It's probably slightly thicker than my 23mm total, without snap-off.
I've got a snap-off fron Lotus and a wheel. All I need is the adapter that fits the US hub.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
YvoTuk said:
Well.. here we are: www.elise-shop.com

http://www.elise-shop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=29

If you choose the +30mm adapter, you'll have all that you want :)

Okay, I'm assuming your 15mm adapter keeps the wheel in the factory position... therefor the 30mm moves it towards the driver an extra 15mm? I'm pretty sure 15mm is a bit shy of an inch. It might be close enough, but I've been burned by sellers who tell me, "Oh sure, I've got what you want," when it isn't what I asked for.

Not trying to suggest you're that type at all. Far from it. Just attempting to point out that I'm a cynical shopper and would like to hear something more along the lines of:

FedColumn>30mmAdapter>SnapOffConnector>MomoWheel will work on your car and postion the wheel 15mm closer to you than stock.

I'm unclear on your kit including the wheel or not. Seems pricy just for a hub adaptor and snap-off. I'm also unclear how, if it does not include the wheel, the ordering data on your website requires a wheel diameter selection. Am I to understand that my wheel choice from Momo's line effects the product selection you will include in my kit?

Sorry for the questions. I'm just excited to get my car setup the way I want it, and I believe detailed accurate communications helps prevent missunderstandings down the road. Thank's for your patients.

xtn

·
Registered
960 Posts
MyElise said:
I've got a snap-off fron Lotus and a wheel. All I need is the adapter that fits the US hub.
YvoTuk's comments have matched my experience perfectly.

If I was looking to do a new set-up with snap-off, I would contact him and ask to purchase just the 15mm adapter.

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry, xtn, I just saw your post..

The kit I've been linking to is a complete kit:
adapter from the hub of the federal spec Elise to: (included)
Snap off to: (included)
adapter for the steering wheel to: (included)
Momo 30cm steering wheel which also includes an original Lotus Motorsport horn push.

So.. that's a complete kit where it's up to you if you do a 15mm adapter (which indeed is comparable to the standard steeringwheel setup in the car or a 30mm adapter which brings the wheel 15mm more towards you.

I've also seen people stacking up one 30 and one 15mm adapter or even two 30mm adapters. Not a big issue on itself, but I would make a strong recommendation to use 10.9 bolts to fit the whole thing.

The adapters will fit the federal Elise (we've gone through quite a hassle to get that sorted :( )

·
Registered
508 Posts
By the way thank you YvoTuk! While I have been waiting, it is good to know that I will be getting a complete until that works for my car when it arrives.

Rick

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Thanks for the detailed reply YvoTuk. Okay I just ordered the kit. I'm excited about it!

xtn

·
Registered
960 Posts
YvoTuk said:
... also includes an original Lotus Motorsport horn push.
YvoTuk, Is the horn button black and silver or yellow and green/black? If it's black and sliver, I would like to find out how to purchase one to finish my install (I just have the MOMO button now).

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I just got my kit, sooner than I expected! It appears to be an excellent product for a good fair price.

Before I attempt the install I have a question that I am unable to answer by looking at the included illustrations/instructions.

The kit included six small allen head screws for affixing the steering wheel to the front section of the snap-off... The kit included six larger allen head screws for affixing the back section of the snap-off to the hub adapter... The kit did NOT include any hardware for affixing that 30mm hub adapter to the factory hub.

Is this something I am missing? Is this something I am supposed to source myself? If so, what do I seek? Is this something that will become evident and make me feel dumb once I tear down the factory setup?

Thanks in advance,
xtn

YvoTuk said:
Sorry, xtn, I just saw your post..

The kit I've been linking to is a complete kit:
adapter from the hub of the federal spec Elise to: (included)
Snap off to: (included)
adapter for the steering wheel to: (included)
Momo 30cm steering wheel which also includes an original Lotus Motorsport horn push.

So.. that's a complete kit where it's up to you if you do a 15mm adapter (which indeed is comparable to the standard steeringwheel setup in the car or a 30mm adapter which brings the wheel 15mm more towards you.

I've also seen people stacking up one 30 and one 15mm adapter or even two 30mm adapters. Not a big issue on itself, but I would make a strong recommendation to use 10.9 bolts to fit the whole thing.

The adapters will fit the federal Elise (we've gone through quite a hassle to get that sorted :( )

·
Registered
55 Posts
argh! :( I think I know what happened... You mean you don't have the four bolts to attach to the hub..

Sorry, our mistake.. It's on the 'recipe' for the kit with the 15mm spacer, but I forgot to enter them on the 30mm list... grmpf :mad:

What you need is four allen bolts, from what I recall M6x30, I will check that for you and post the correct size.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
That's exactly right. I have not dissassembled the factory setup yet, but from examination of the hub addaptor you supplied it does appear to be four flat-heads of some type.

Thanks for the good customer service effort. It's super nice when a vendor goes the extra mile to help.

xtn

PS - Can you also describe how the horn button is removed? The illustration shows it as a seperate piece, but it came preassembled to the snap-off. I would like to remove/replace it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
ok, caphead M6x30 should do the job. If you can find them 10.9 (that's what we're using for all the others, but otherwise 8.9 will do)

IF there's any questions left, please let me know by mail, I'm not reading ET that often.. sorry :)

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I believe this is incorrect. The holes in the adapter are countersunk, and as such I believe Cap Head screws are not appropriate. It appears that Flat Head screws are required. Either way, I am unable to source M6 1x30 screws of either type for any reasonable amount of money.

Please send me the proper four screws to the address I used when placing my order.

Thank-you,
Christian Plyler

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
By the way we are working a extremely nice steering wheel and quick release system for the Elise/Exige... the cleanest and best quality solution i've seen... stay tuned :)

Neil

·
Registered
508 Posts
Did mine tonight and it worked great. Now with that stated the kit did not have the bolts included for the adaptor.

Some thoughts, if I had to do it again I would not use the 30mm adaptor. It puts my fingers to far away from the control on the column which I have found a little inconvienient.

Now we used one 2.2 ohm resistor to fake the computer to think the airbad was still in place. Had to buy the 500 resistor pack (from Radio Shack) and then look for the right one. The 2.2 ohm resistor has two red stripes and two gold stripes. If you insert it into the green plug and tape it in you should have no issues. I have four extras if somebody wants them. It would be easy to send them to you. It would be my suggestion for the kits to include the resistor.

You do have to take the horn adaptor off the OEM steering wheel and wire it into the replacement to use the OEM wiring through the column. (sorry I did not take photos).

Anyways it is a real easy installation. We did have the right M6x30 caphead bolts on-hand, the job would have been very frustrating had we not had them. We used some red loctite to ensure they stay put.

In all the job took 30 minutes tops. I bet I could do it again in 10-15 mintues, most of the time was spent disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

Looking forward to seeing the Sector111 solution.

Rick

61 - 80 of 154 Posts