The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the service bulletin number for the Evora steering wheel clicking problem. i did the search and found many talk about the bulletin, but cannot find the specific bulletin to have my dealer fix it, and of course teh dealer has no idea what I'm talking about.:huh:

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what your talking about either though I hope you get it worked out.
I have seen other mention having a similar problem. When turning the steering wheel I feel a slight "give" and hear a click. I had read there is a improperly sized bushing in the steering wheel that is causing the problem.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Definitely a TSB - had mine fixed a month ago. As soon as I mentioned it to my service manager he immediately reached down and picked one of the corrective washers up from his desk. Your service manager should know straightaway when you describe it.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I didn't know about a TSB but on my next visit, I'll be asking about it. it's one of the things I'll be reporting to get fixed. It's rather annoying as the steering wheel is the most direct connection to the car and road and when you feel the wheel give and click, you lose confidence in the vehicle's overall solid road feedback and overall quality.

I posted a video of it a while back...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glad you guys got it fixed with a washer - when I reported this on my 2010 NA they ended up replacing the whole steering column (dash removal etc, and the old steering column looked like they had to cut through the brackets to get it out....)

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
I have seen other mention having a similar problem. When turning the steering wheel I feel a slight "give" and hear a click. I had read there is a improperly sized bushing in the steering wheel that is causing the problem.
this is what i had on my exige.

Definitely a TSB - had mine fixed a month ago. As soon as I mentioned it to my service manager he immediately reached down and picked one of the corrective washers up from his desk. Your service manager should know straightaway when you describe it.
I wonder if this washer would fit Exige steering mechanism.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
this is what i had on my exige.

I wonder if this washer would fit Exige steering mechanism.
The steering designs are different between the Exige and the Evora.

My service advisor told me about the TSB and going to take care of it on my car, along with 8 other things I complained about. Hopefully it won't take too long.

·
likes to drive fast
1,128 Posts
Chhirowolf, thanks for the heads up. Spoke to my SA and he's arranging for me to bring the car in. According to him the SIB was dated 11/2011.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Does anyone have the service bulletin number for the Evora steering wheel clicking problem. i did the search and found many talk about the bulletin, but cannot find the specific bulletin to have my dealer fix it, and of course teh dealer has no idea what I'm talking about.:huh:
I had the same problem with my dealer last week. I'm not impressed.:evil:

I went in with the same problem. Explained that there is a service bulletin, and a known solution. They checked it out and said they tightened things up and it's fine now. I get in and it was exactly the same. Same thing with the loose shifter boot. They keep saying they fixed it (for the third time), and as soon as I get in, it looks like they've done nothing! At this point, I guess I have two choices, go to another dealer or start talking to Lotus HQ. Anyone in particular I should speak to?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Dave Simkin, field engineer at LCU, is the man to contact--he keeps the dealers on their toes.
(BTW, fixing the steering column issue is very simple, but it requires installation a new part.)

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the piece number 10 replaced in 12 minutes and its fine since then. A.
Think I will try to order the part myself and save myself the headache of a dealer trip.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My car is going in on Tuesday (Galpin Lotus), I called my mechanic at the dealer. He looked up the bulletin on the Lotus web site, and ordered the new part. I am also getting and new interior dome light installed. The three position switch is not working well. Sometimes the lights stays on after I have closed the door, even after I have waited for them to fade off. I then have to jiggle the switch for the light to turn off. I don't get a open door signal on the dash car graphic, so it is not the door sensor.
Ron

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Ok, just got my car back from the dealer. The new dome light works perfect.
And the Steering column fix worked great. No more play at all.
Ron:clap:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Anyone else had this corrected? My clicking has gotten worse and drives me crazy. I am 4 hours away from a dealer and would like to do it myself if possible. So, replacing this part number 10 on the Evora diagram corrects the steering clicking?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I need to have this fixed on mine too. It only clicks when it's cold though. I have a steering wheel puller, so I could do it myself if that part is the solution. I'll have to dig up instructions on airbag removal, but those are usually only held in by a few screws.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I need to have this fixed on mine too. It only clicks when it's cold though. I have a steering wheel puller, so I could do it myself if that part is the solution. I'll have to dig up instructions on airbag removal, but those are usually only held in by a few screws.
I have taken my wheel of a couple of times. No need for a wheel puller, but you will need a 24mm socket.
They ended up putting a new clock spring and spacer in my wheel which should not be to difficult a project. I think 10 is the spacer. Not sure how to get the clock spring out.
here is my DIY for steering wheel removal
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/steering-wheel-upgrade-my10-my11-129441/

·
Registered
854 Posts
Mine used to click only when it was cold. Now it is constant. Your DIY is excellent Chhiro.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts