The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-OMP-steering-wheel-hub-boss-kit-OD-1960LO879-For-Lotus-Esprit-1987-on/153415522678?epid=2075148553&hash=item23b8471976:g:00YAAOSwd-xclPCT

I saw this on Ebay UK

I THINK this will fit the air bag cars and allow you to neatly, easily and reversibly fit a Momo or similar wheel on your Esprit. I used an Isuzu adapter that had to be modified and it was kind of a pain.

The horn may be a problem for cars with a clock spring.

No guarantees but it might be a more turn key solution than what I had to do.

·
Super Moderator
3,913 Posts
I have an 87 hub too and not sure that one is the same. I’ll take a picture when I get home ( it’s in my man cave ) but pretty sure the hub above is not for 87. I realize OP has S4 but just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,913 Posts
The top hub (with after market shiny black Momo adapter) is a factory 88 Stevens Esprit steering wheel hub.

The one mounted to the steering wheel is a factory 87 Giugiaro Esprit steering wheel hub. It looks shorter than the one in the UK eBay ad.

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it will still work just move wheel closer to driver.

It will not work for the horn though.

2 options -

1.) rig up the clockspring to work with new wheel - what I did - this might mean hogging out the back of the adapter so the clock spring will fit inside.

2.) back date the horn contact syle to the older one. That would involve making a bracket to hold the horn contact that rubs on the copper colored ring on the back of the hub adapter. Not hard but a bit fiddly.

3.) Rig up a rally racing style button for the horn with a "phone cord" that wraps around the wheel and wont foul when you steer

4.) install a button on the dash some where as a horn.

I think If I did it over I might go with option 4 easily reversible and messing with the clock spring kind of sucks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts