The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all: I would like to remove the center section of my 2007 type 72 D elise to clean and re-paint it due to numerous scratches. I am also interested in finding a replacement lotus logo for the center section of the steering wheel as well.

My questions are:
How do I remove that center cover off?
Where do I find a replacement yellow lotus logo to fit in that space once I remove the old one?
Is there specific information on the materials I should use to re-touch the surfaces (the silver paint for the edge and the black center)?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dear all: I should have said "I would like to remove the center section of my 2007 type 72 D elise steering wheel to clean and re-paint it due to numerous scratches. I am also interested in finding a replacement lotus logo for the center section of the steering wheel as well".

·
Registered
903 Posts
I literally just did this this past weekend and blogged about it here with the exact paints I used and whatnot: Elise Steering Wheel Touchup- Project Elise!

If you're repainting just the black part in the middle then I don't think you need to sand anything, but I had some 240 grit sandpaper and was painting the silver surround as well and after the first coat of silver paint I saw it needed to be sanded first to give it that "factory smooth" look.

I used Toyota silver from Autozone and some Plasti-dip for the middle. Had a guy at Autozone tell me some off-brand stuff was the same as Plasti-dip but "made for use on automotive applications". I bought it as well and tested it vs Plasti-dip on a coke can. It was splotchy and thin compared to the plasti-dip which had a nice even coat.

·
Registered
903 Posts
also, I'm not sure where to get an OEM steering wheel badge but if you've got a Type 72D which is black and gold, then this black steering wheel badge would probably look pretty good in your car: Lotus Steering Wheel Badge - Blackwatch Racing, Lotus Performance Parts

As to how to remove your old one, one person said that it required disassembling of the airbag unit and then in the post immediately following a guy said he had just popped it off (probably with a flat-head screwdriver) and didn't know there was any other way to remove it. The one on BWR says it just goes on over the OEM one though so you wouldn't remove it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts