The Lotus Cars Community banner

Which Steering Wheel on FE Are You Speccing?

• Leather

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • Alcantara

Votes: 7 23.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Albeit a small choice, the one I'm struggling with what to choose is steering wheel material. For those who have allocations for First Editions, wondering whether you spec'd with leather or alcantara.

I'm planning to spec the alcantara interior, but don't know whether to match the steering wheel to it or choose leather like I normally would.

·
Registered
2005 Ardent Red Elise, Touring Pack
222 Posts
I'm one of those people who would never choose alcantara on anything - leather all the way every day for me.
Alcantara feels and looks totally cheap and gross to me, especially after it gets used for a while and skin oils, grime, etc. get in it. It gets crunchy and discolored and disgusting, and is impossible to clean or restore. SavageGeese compared the feeling of touching old alcantara to rubbing oreo crumbs into a hairy back. I hate it so much. Having an alcantara steering wheel would probably ruin the driving experience of a car for me personally. YMMV of course, but that is my opinion :)
Plenty of people like both.
(Go leather!)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have an alcantara wheel now and it needs a good cleaning every year so I got an alcantara wheel for this car too. I'll maintain it till it doesn't last and then replace it with leather, nbd.

·
Registered
New to Lotus
7 Posts
I'm one of those people who would never choose alcantara on anything - leather all the way every day for me.
Alcantara feels and looks totally cheap and gross to me, especially after it gets used for a while and skin oils, grime, etc. get in it. It gets crunchy and discolored and disgusting, and is impossible to clean or restore. SavageGeese compared the feeling of touching old alcantara to rubbing oreo crumbs into a hairy back. I hate it so much. Having an alcantara steering wheel would probably ruin the driving experience of a car for me personally. YMMV of course, but that is my opinion :)
Plenty of people like both.
(Go leather!)
Only good place for Alcantara is the roof lining, back of the sun visors. Other than that leather will last (my view) at least 4 times as long. The race associations have been carefully crafted, but based on experience it is inferior every which way.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have one car that is all leather (seats/wheel) and then the one car that is alcantara (seat inserts/wheel). I never thought I would say this, but actually prefer the latter more. I don't eat/drink (except water) in the cars and just a quick clean with colourlock keeps it fresh. Thankfully a choice and you can get what you like the best.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
611 Posts
If the steering wheel had the option of yellow stitching and/or yellow stripe I'd go with alcantera. Since it's just all black I didn't feel like paying a $500 premium for alcantera.

Leather will last better in high wear areas like a steering wheel as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.