The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a spinner on their steering wheel, or is that more likely in the hot rod crowd? :confused:

AFAIK, this is a little ball which you can grasp with one hand and turn the steering wheel with that one hand leaving the other hand free.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Dan

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hopefully not - would seem to be as far away from the Lotus ethos (now there's a better name than Evora) than you can get....:eek:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
rotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotfl:crazyeyes:crazyeyes:crazyeyes:crazyeyes:

Maybe on a John Deere farm tractor:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
They were called Suicide knobs since in an accident they impaled your chest or head.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Weren't those also called suicide knobs? They were called such because the long sleeve shirt would get caught on them and cause a wreck.

I have enough trouble on my own without a knob helping me!:eek:

edit: beatme by 3 minutes!!!

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
They're also known as Brodie knobs, which accounts for a burning rubber 360 degree turn being called a "brodie." They were popular on non-power steering boats from the early days of cars...y'know, the really slow ones with the massive steering wheels to give you some leverage-the knobs added leverage to crank the tires around.

On a Lotus...hmmm...:panic:

$10 will get you this one. But the comments you get will be priceless.

Tom

Attachments

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I guess they come in handy when you only have one hand to hold the wheel since you need to hang the other one out the window to look cool...rotfl

redneck2-760858.jpg

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...my grandfather had one on his seventies thunderbird sedan - he absolutely pampered that boat...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
you know when I read the thread title I was thinking of something similiar to a spinner rim... in my head I was going "how retarded can people be?"

so glad it wasnt what I was thinking... it would have beat the tvs in headrest thread

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
you know when I read the thread title I was thinking of something similiar to a spinner rim... in my head I was going "how retarded can people be?"

so glad it wasnt what I was thinking... it would have beat the tvs in headrest thread
+1

rotfl

I was thing the same thing and then thought about the LCD in the headrest thread too.

·
Registered
373 Posts
^+1 more
That would be very useful for my Exige with extra accurate steering. It's 7.2 turns lock to lock. Links?

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i am putting one on my shifter, and one on the steering wheel - then i can have BOTH hands free to pay full attention to texting on my cell phone!

:panic:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
They were called Suicide knobs
They were also know as "necker knobs". On old cars without power steering and bench seats (think '50s), they allowed you to drive with one hand so that you could have the other around your girl friend.

Seriously, they were handy on old trucks and cars without power steering. The steering ratio had to be dialed down (so you didn't have to be muscle bound to steer it), and you had to turn the wheels a lot of turns to make a sharp turn. The spinner allowed you to do that. But for any modern car (made in the last 30+ years) they are plain silly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts