The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question...........

Installing a Momo Jet Steering wheel and Quick Release from Elise Parts. Thus also removing the Air Bag.

Wheel - Elise Parts - Interior - Steering Wheels - Momo Jet Steering Wheel

Quick release - https://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/49/520/removable-steering-wheel-kit/

Have done a lot of reading on airbags. From what I have gathered what arms it is a capacitor that could take a day to discharge or a month or never. Some people disconnect the battery, some posts said the dealer just disconnected it. Its a fail safe system designed to protect you even if a semi cuts off the back of your car. It will go off.

So what is the right or wrong way to disconnect it for removal?

Spoofing the dash airbag light........... What size resistors are required to do this? What is the proper way to insert them into the connector? (pictures please!)

Have heard several people say if the airbag dash light comes on it never goes out and the dealer has to clear it. So what special tool do they use to clear it? I'm miffed on this one!

Yes I know im deleting the airbag and its illegal......Got it.....I live in Alabama, you don't need doors on your car here. I'm not concerned.

Any input greatly accepted! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like 2.2 ohm (not 2.2k).

Don't know how I missed that post. Thanks JJ.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My airbag light was on, and I couldn't get it to turn off, so I pulled the pin out of the dash cluster that activates it. Seemed easier to me than making a 4hr trip to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am my dealer Calvin, even if only your mother calls you that..............

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2.2 Ohm resistors are harder to find than I thought. Radio Shack is useless! Gotta love living in Alabama!

·
Registered
639 Posts
2.2 ohm works. I soldered two short wire extensions onto the ends and just shoved them into the connector for the airbag. The wire was attached to make the fit more snug. Covered the whole assembly with heat shrink. A year later and no problems. Might have an extra resistor I can send you for free if you like.

Corvus

1 - 10 of 10 Posts