The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
give me my second cam!
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search everywhere and as everyone knows the search function sucks on Lotus talk and I even searched Google and you tube. The only luck I have had was a few videos on you tube and they are shall we say not very consistent or informative as to whether or not you are supposed to disengage the belts by releasing the serpentine belt tensioner. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
290 Posts
Remove the Serpentine belt, loosen the Serpentine belt tensioner, put engine to TDC, remove the 2 nuts holding the timing chain tensioner, and remove then tensioner.

If you don't loosen the Serpentine belt tensioner, you won't have enough room to remove the timing chain tensioner.

·
give me my second cam!
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir! I appreciate it

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,646 Posts
That little mechanism caused me outsized issues years ago.

Seems obvious but don't forget to unhook it from the top once it is in place, easiest to remove cam cover and you will see the mechanism allowing you to release the latch that holds it in fully depressed setting prior to installation. once installed you release it.

I screwed up and extended it and then tightened it down... ruined my head, but in the end all is well. got a port and polished new one with all kinds of fly fun bits. Was one of the most expensive times I ever paid the stupid tax...

Robust little beasts the timing chain tensioner's are. Why are you having to replace if you don't mind my asking?

·
give me my second cam!
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That little mechanism caused me outsized issues years ago.

Seems obvious but don't forget to unhook it from the top once it is in place, easiest to remove cam cover and you will see the mechanism allowing you to release the latch that holds it in fully depressed setting prior to installation. once installed you release it.

I screwed up and extended it and then tightened it down... ruined my head, but in the end all is well. got a port and polished new one with all kinds of fly fun bits. Was one of the most expensive times I ever paid the stupid tax...

Robust little beasts the timing chain tensioner's are. Why are you having to replace if you don't mind my asking?
I have a pretty decent sized oil leak coming from the tensioner and I guess its a pretty common source for leaks after a certain amount of miles and or years. According to the instructional videos I have seen online the only thing that needs to be done prior to re-install is to make sure you lock the new tensioner with the catch hook on the end of the tensioner itself and install it. And then you must rotate crank pulley counter clockwise in order to lock it into place so that it re-tensions the timing chain properly. Is this correct?

·
Registered
290 Posts
As soon as you unhook it, the tensioner will spring out and tension against the chain. Move the chain every so slightly counterwise, then you can rotate it clockwise and verify your timing.

·
give me my second cam!
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As soon as you unhook it, the tensioner will spring out and tension against the chain. Move the chain every so slightly counterwise, then you can rotate it clockwise and verify your timing.
What I am trying to say is that to do just that all I have to do is attach a 19mm angled box wrench on the crank pulley in order to lock it into place not actually touch the timing chain correct?

·
Registered
311 Posts
You won't need to touch (or even see) the chain. Going backwards will cause the chain to jiggle the thing so that the clasp will unhook. You'll hear it spring out.

·
give me my second cam!
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You won't need to touch (or even see) the chain. Going backwards will cause the chain to jiggle the thing so that the clasp will unhook. You'll hear it spring out.
Thats what I figured, thanks!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ahh..you can also stick a large flat head to unhook the clasp. There's a lot of room and its a straight shot down.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I made the same mistake in 2007 ~ . I think it killed my head as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts