The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Lotus Elise SC
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Just picked up an 2011 Elise SC which I am crazy excited about. First task is to remove the junk head unit that the previous owner installed. It came with a unit used to plug in an IPad. It is half the depth of a regular stereo. Behind that, the speaker wires are routed through what appears to be a silver amp which is about 5 inches inside the stereo cavity. Just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this. I assume this silver amp (if that's what it is) is aftermarket? It has the speaker wires going in and coming out. RCA cables also coming out for sound. It is directly in the way of installing a regular depth head unit.
I am thinking I am going to have to remove the whole darn dash to get this amp out of there. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks! *photo attached
20200530_013229.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
try removing the DIN mount so you can get better access
Is that a strip of velcro off to the right? maybe that is all that is holding it
I know Alpine makes an amp like this, probably others

You should not have to remove the dash, although if it resists, you might get some access by removing the steering wheel shroud

·
Registered
2011 Lotus Elise SC
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the quick reply. It gave me confidence that it was an aftermarket amp. I used some force with a pry bar and a small saw and cut off the two screws holding it. It's out & the kids got to beat on it afterwords. Thank for your help!
20200530_104554.jpg
20200530_104800.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts