The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
With an Exige chassis....How much would a cracked clam cost to replace? :crazyeyes

Steven Tyler?s $1.1 million, 1,244 HP convertible - Yahoo! Autos

Looks like a cross between an Exige front with an Evora rear?

Theyve retained the Elige cockpit and some small things here n there, but definately not the exige chassis. All custom clams too..... so a very expensive car to "fix", but regular maintenance on it won't be any worse than a vette.

I think im one of the few here that think the Hennessy Venom is AWESOME.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If Lotus had made this, it would've been awesome! The only "issue" I have, and a personal preference only, is that the Exige is too small, so if Lotus had make a longer/bigger Exige and kept the design intact, it would have ROCKED!!!!!..... IMHO.

Why didn't Lotus go in this direction instead of the '5 new lamb-style cars'?!

This shows there's nothing wrong with the previous Lotus design look!

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
the fail here is so multi-faceted...

and yes - it is the elise chassis.

·
Registered
570 Posts
the fail here is so multi-faceted...

and yes - it is the elise chassis.

The chassis is HIGHLY modified to handle the power..... not close enough to call it an "elise chassis" imo.

otherwise

The Venom GT is created from a base Lotus Elise / Exige and utilizes components including but not limited to the roof, doors, side glass, windscreen, dash, cockpit, floorpan, HVAC system, wiper and head lamps. Hennessey Performance and the Venom GT are not associated with Lotus Cars.

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A million dollar plus for this car? Especially built from parts and pieces of our cars? The price tag is the Fail ! :eek:

·
Registered
570 Posts
A million dollar plus for this car? Especially built from parts and pieces of our cars? The price tag is the Fail ! :eek:

Low production cars cost a lot of time and money to produce. Look at the LFA, they arent' even making money when they sell them for 400,000.

With high volume cars, you can amortize the cost of production much further and easier.

Look at it like an optomist. A veyron is 2x as much, weighs 1300 lbs more and has less horsepower, and worst of all, the veyron has NO LOTUS DNA. yuck

:UK:

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Low production cars cost a lot of time and money to produce. Look at the LFA, they arent' even making money when they sell them for 400,000.

With high volume cars, you can amortize the cost of production much further and easier.

Look at it like an optomist. A veyron is 2x as much, weighs 1300 lbs more and has less horsepower, and worst of all, the veyron has NO LOTUS DNA. yuck

:UK:
Its just a car built from pieces of other cars :shrug:. I bet some of the talented people on this board could build a car like this and for a whole lot less than a million.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
The engine I swapped into my car this winter came from the donor Elise (not Exige) that was used to produce Stevens car. Purchased it from Hennessey via eBay about 6 months ago. Am about to write a story about it to see if I can get Steven to sign my car. I figure he's a obviously a car guy so he should love that his original motor lives on in a track car. Hell I'd love to take him out in mine!

(Still a crazy price...)

·
Registered
37 Posts
1200plus bhp......sounds a bit like another "James Dean" story about to happen......money doesn't buy you driving talent.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've always wondered why Lotus didn't do this, themselves. Longer, fatter, stiffer chassis of what they have, big enough for more cubes and cylinders = sell the shi7 out of it, without the massive price tag.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I've always wondered why Lotus didn't do this, themselves. Longer, fatter, stiffer chassis of what they have, big enough for more cubes and cylinders = sell the shi7 out of it, without the massive price tag.
Because Lotus is utterly clueless on how to actually make a profit. Hand them a lemonade stand and they'll find a way to be a million dollars in debt by the end of the week.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I'd be surprised if the main frame was modified in the slightest bit. My guess is they just attached longer A arms to the stock pick up points, bolted on a new rear sub frame, and called it good. I love how they try to pretend that the roof was a structural element of the first version, and charge $100k more for a version that has it unbolted.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I always wondered how Steven Tyler was going to die.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The engine I swapped into my car this winter came from the donor Elise (not Exige) that was used to produce Stevens car. Purchased it from Hennessey via eBay about 6 months ago. Am about to write a story about it to see if I can get Steven to sign my car. I figure he's a obviously a car guy so he should love that his original motor lives on in a track car. Hell I'd love to take him out in mine!

(Still a crazy price...)
So this thing actually starts out as a production Elise. I wonder if it still has the Elise VIN and registration. That would make it a whole lot easier for Hennessey, no emissions, crash testing, etc. That also means that he is making about a million profit per car.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
So this thing actually starts out as a production Elise. I wonder if it still has the Elise VIN and registration. That would make it a whole lot easier for Hennessey, no emissions, crash testing, etc. That also means that he is making about a million profit per car.
I'm pretty sure they do start it with a new Elise because Hennessey has had several of the engines/transmissions for sale on eBay with minimal miles...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts