The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am a current owner of a 2006 STI and am considering buying an elise.
Is there anything I should watch out for I know the cars are like apples and oranges so I will leave the comparisons behind but are there any regrets out there. In regards to buying a used one is there any things you would have done differently now that you are an owner?

Thank you kindly in advance,

James C.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use mine as a daily driver, and many will comment on the downsides of that I am sure. Ingress/Egress are the top criticisms for a DD. However, I have owned one for about 10 months and am thrilled to drive it everywhere. Long trips (4-5 hours so far) no problem. It will all depend on your tollerance and commitment and taste in a sports car (some will argue it is a street legal race car, and I agree). I have owned many different cars and by far this is the most thrilling experience of my driving life. Lotus for life, and looking forward to the VVA models/variants of the Evora.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
about 20% of owners here used to have a stevo there are many comparisons here. In short what your sti does well (launches, practicality, low rpm torque) an elise is mediocre at, what your sti is terrible at (mid corner push, transitions. etc) the elise is phenominal at

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just imagine the awesome MPG you'll get in an Elise compared to the STi. I traded my (heavily modded) WRX in on an Elise and have not looked back since...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
good sir, welcome.

i liken the Lotus to a motorcycle. the most practical motorcycle on the road. if you can live with a bike 24/7, you'll love your Lotus 25/8

I drive mine daily and my biggest regret is not buying it sooner than I did.

may the Force be with you.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Previous car: 2005 Stage 2 STi
Current car: 2006 Exige N/A

Honestly, the STi kicked this car's ass in all but a few areas. There was more power...sooner...smoother, the sound, the AWD, the safety, the ease of getting in and out, the comfort, the visibility, the modability, I could go on.

The Exige reacts like it knows what I'm thinking, gets better gas mileage, and attracts attention like flies to sh!t, and that's the end of that. Do I regret the switch? No, it's just a car, one of many I've had before, and many I'll have after, but unless you're a track junkie, the STi owns this car as if it never existed.

Flamers, don't waste your time, I'm giving my honest opinion, and won't be re-trading my Exige for an STi anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Again its been said here 1000 times so do some searching. A lotus really isnt about outright perforformance as much as driving joy. Ive had the pleasure of autocrossing a dozen or so cars and my elise is easily the most fun, most everything else feels huge and clumsy in comparison. If you arnt into autocross or hpde or similar, I really dont see the point of a lotus. Its really only marginal as transportation. That being said I have put 11kmiles on mine in less than a year of ownership. If performance/$ money is your primary concern: run out and by a slightly used z51 optioned c6 vette for 25k.

I guess the other reason to buy a lotus is if you like attention. This is a negative 99.9% of the time, but every now and then it is amusing.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I have a 2008 GR STi, love it. I have a 2006 Elise, love it. You're going to be very happy in your transition...losing some space and what not blah blah, but the chassis is so very capable. We look forward to greeting you with your new car :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the insight, absoultly facinating to hear actual owners opinions. I can't keep the STI for financial and space reason as I already have a modded 68 mustang.
I love the STI but ive always wanted a Lotus and the right kind of attention factor is huge. I hate now how people think im 18 becouse of the wing... I like the lotus in the same way I love all stupid cars, for that fact alone. I call them stupid becouse they are so impractical but thats the beauty of it hence making them exotic...

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
You sound like you would like a lotus. I got rid of the win on my sti, when they were still quite rare in 2004. Everybody called me silly at the time :) . May that wing is god awful, I still give my 04-07 sti owner friends grief over theirs.....

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
It doesnt get stressed here enough but the absolute worst drawback of a lotus is the fragility of the bodywork. You absolutely without quesiton dont want to get into anykind of an incident in a lotus. If you are the kinda guy who ocassionally taps a pole while backing up, look elseware. Any tiny little tap will likely destroy exactly 45% of the body work (I am allowing 10% for doors etc).

·
Registered
155 Posts
I traded my 2004 STi for a used 2006 lotus elise. Neither are my daily driver but I still manage to rack up over 15,000 a year on them. I went from the STi for a few reasons, I hated the "young ricer kid" appearance of the huge wing, huge front hood scoop, and gold rims. And went to a more "exotic" mature look of a sports car because I am 30 years old and was tired of that stereotype. I had looked at the S2000, Miata, Corvette, and 350z all of them had good and bad characteristics. Most are faster in a straight line, on most race tracks, and all ride a bit better. Also all have more room both storage, and interior space. But after driving the lotus none were nearly as fun. The road feedback the lotus gives you is incredible. I am an autocrosser, I heavily autocrossed the STi and loved every second of it, I haven't autocrossed the Lotus (YET) but if it handles anything like it feels like it can on the road I am going to love it even more.

I am 6,2" 250 lbs, so I am no small guy and I fit just fine in the elise. I have the Base model elise, so softer sidewalles tires, softer suspension and love it. I drove a Sport version of the elise and questioned it because of the harsh ride. I was looking for a good balance in a car. Something I could drive for 5 hours in and also enjoy at an autocross (I am not a Nationals level autocrosser) so a second or 2 isn't going to bother me at an autocross. I drove it for over 5 hours to maine from Ct, and wasn't ready for the trip to be over. All the other cars I have ever driven are just a means to get from point a to point b some were more fun, the STi was hellish fast and quite fun, but you have to DRIVE the lotus from point a to point b usually going through points d,e,f,and g on the way to make the trip longer.

The attention is definatly different, I sometimes hate it, but sometimes it can be fun. The Lotus is generally is the center of attention for some reason. I drove into a small meet and greet with some Ferrari's, 350 z's and a lambo, everyone stopped looking at the other cars and came over to the Lotus. I have a stock, base $50,000 elise some of the other cars were over $200,000. So be prepared for that, your going to get lots of attention, people take pics and video on the road, ask questions at gas stations, and want to race.

Make sure you look into alll the options before buying a lotus, the different packages make a huge difference in the feel of the car. Like I said I chose the most comfortable package because for what I am going to do with it that is plently for me. The ride has to be decent for your particular butt. The sport package was far to rough for me.

I have had the car for about 7 months, and have loved every second of driving it. I can fit enough stuff in the trunk for a weekend gettaway somewhere, get the grocery's, and do just about everything I need with it. Its not always easy, but it sure is fun.

As far as any draw backs, the only one so far is the cost of the tires. The base tires are odd at the front 175-50-16. The only OEM size option is over 200 per tire which is outrageous. And also the rears wear extremely fast. I have 13,000 miles and am replacing the rears because they are absolutly bald. And not from driving hard, its just the nature of the beast. You have to either replace the tires with off size from OEM or spend lots o money to get the OEM Yokohama's. There are no 175-50-16's out there except for the Yoko's. Other than that its a toyota engine (kinda indestructable) and low horsepower which also makes things last a bit longer.

I would say test drive all the options before you buy, and go get one. They are awesome!

·
Registered
186 Posts
first of all..buy a used one. they start around $30K.
if you are a driver..you'll love every minute of it.
supercharging it will shave 0-60 time to 4s..:crazyeyes..not bad.
it will improve overall drivability 200%..power will come at 3500rpm instead of 6400rpm:bow:
maintenance is almost nothing...well ..$100 oil change if you don't do it yourself.
drawbacks:
1. not to good in the snow:D
2.you can't take two girls home with you:wallbang::D
3.your ass will hurt if you're fat:popcorn:

other than that it's a perfect street legal race car and a blast at the racetrack.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts