The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I slightly scrapped my chin guards on one of those ninja concrete parking lot barriers today.

My Miata has a lowered lip and is scratched to ****. I don't want to same to happen to my Elise.

Rob at Dietsch Werks suggested a front splitter as a sacrificial protector. I'm not sure I want to do that, as from what I understand, splitters are intended to provide downforce to balance a rear wing, which I don't have.

Has anyone tried one of these stick on rubber protection strips as a low-cost and subtler chin protector?

UNI Guard LOTUS ELISE EVORA EXIGE ESPRIT EZ 3M Front Bumper Spoiler Chin Lip | eBay

There's another one that looks to be the same, called EZ-Lip. They show it on an Elise here:

Do these work? Is it possible for a mortal to put it one so curves smoothly to match the chin?

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
It won't last long if your using it for that :)

Do you track your car? Do you AutoX it?

If not the front splitter shouldn't hurt your daily driving.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
I was against installing a front splitter. I am waiting for my Elise to get back from the shop for front clam replacement from road debris. It will have a splitter on it with the new clam. They really help strengthen the front clam.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
as from what I understand, splitters are intended to provide downforce to balance a rear wing, which I don't have.
While this is true if you're just daily driving it you won't notice this in the least. Even if you were tracking it I seriously doubt a front splitter without a rear wing would be truly negative unless you're driving the car near it's limits and squeezing all you can get out of it. While it is important to balance aero that only becomes critical if you're running a full aero package (skirts, canards, splitter, diffuser, wing).

Personally I think front lips on the Elise make the cars look SO much better. Without them they are just a little too soft for my tastes.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
If it's for street, get the under clam protectors - no brainer.

Can I make a suggestion? Before you install the protectors with RTV Silicone, take them and some cardboard and a sharpie and MAKE A TEMPLATE that you can keep somewhere.

If for whatever reason the protectors fall off and the nice gentleman is no longer making them, you can easily order some ABS/Delrin/Whatever from TAP plastics and 5 minutes with a skillsaw, and you have new ones!

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Jon I'm sorry about your chin guard and that someone had the audacity to steal one of your stripes, what is this world coming to? Jesus christ!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jon I'm sorry about your chin guard and that someone had the audacity to steal one of your stripes, what is this world coming to? Jesus christ!!
That's not my car in that pic, and my chin guard scratch was very minor. So all is well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts