The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow Minnesotans... :wave:

I've been a long time member in the local Porsche Club with my 911 Cab but have recently decided to get a toy that's a bit more track friendly (BIR/Road America). I like touring too, but my Cab is to much of a garage queen for the intensity on the track I'm looking for?

After much pondering, a Lotus Elise looks like a toy that just may give me the best of both worlds? Is this accurate?

Before I jump in, I have a couple questions...

My plan was to buy a used 2005-6 Elise and modify it (starting with suspension) slowly... and as my performance driving skills improve, modify the power/engine performance at a later date (like having that door open).

Is buying a slightly used Elise a negative?

While I'm pretty mechanically inclined, it's nice to know if their are any quality local shops capable of good Lotus service. Are there any?

Lastly, its always fun to hang with others in the area who share a common passion. Do you guys have some fun summer events? How many Lotus in the area?

Looking forward to your comments. Know anyone looking for a nice Porsche? It's on eBay.

eBay Motors: Porsche : 911 (item 130252670619 end time Sep-11-08 14:56:52 PDT)

If that's against forum rules, I apologize. Chalk it up to being a newbie. I'm just anxious to sell it so I can get an Elise asap.

Ken

·
Registered
552 Posts

After much pondering, a Lotus Elise looks like a toy that just may give me the best of both worlds? Is this accurate?
Greetings back to you. Welcome. I'm not much for the track, but for me the Elise is the best of both worlds (comfort/fun being the 2 worlds). Perhaps low on comfort, but it works for me.

I've modified almost nothing, so can't comment on that. MN_Lotus has done quite a few upgrades, search for his threads.

Buying used can be a positive or a negative. It's so specific car by car. I bought new, there are definite downsides to that ($) and upsides (you get to hit the first curb ... now it's used).

Not sure about local shops. The local dealer has not received much positive feedback for various reasons (I'm mostly neutral), but I'm generally glad to have them around. I most likely wouldn't have bought one if Downtown Jag hadn't sold it locally.

There's a Lotus Owner's club (LOON) which I think has more events than any unorganized group on Lotustalk. The cars and coffee monthly event (all makes of cars) has brought more interaction this summer than anything Lotus-specific, as far as I know.

People organize group drives occasionally. I haven't participated much lately in anything, but the people I've met are nice.

I commute pretty much daily from Apr-Nov, and my desire for track events is low, so I can't answer many of your technical resource questions. But ... I'm driving it and loving it!

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Hi....Welcome, from one who went the other way.....a 2005 Elise to a '96 993TT. You can post your car here in Cars for Sale, Non-Lotus too, if you'd like. Not a big market here for Porsches, but, you never know.......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Attachments

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tracy is right. If you track your Elise with the kids in the trunk... always use helmets and elbow pads. Safety first.... Right? ;)

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Well, no...I should hope not with 3 kids rattling around in the trunk.......
With a stage 2 exhaust, you can't hear them scream. :evil:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yes, I rarely track with the kids in the trunk anymore. They're too heavy now (~40 lbs each) and old enough to tell on me.

Perhaps a car with a backseat (albeit small) is the way to go. Maybe I should follow the RacyTracy route to automotive happiness. Looks like there is a small trunk up front in case one kid gets unruly. I should not be thinking about this ...-eek-

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
You could get an Evora and fit 'em all inside !!

·
Registered
524 Posts

Lastly, its always fun to hang with others in the area who share a common passion. Do you guys have some fun summer events? How many Lotus in the area?
Ken,

Lotus Owners Oftha North (LOON) is a Lotus fan club based in the Twin Cities. I'm the Membership Secretary. Contact me offline if you would like to chat.

Tim Engel
[email protected]
(612) 877-1076

1 - 10 of 10 Posts