The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Elise Bordeaux Red Pearl
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought our ‘05 over the weekend, during the little over 500 mile trip home I started my list of things to fix. #1 was that nasty, sticky airbag cover.
I’ve owned quite a few 5th generation Corvettes and this is also a very common issue with their airbag covers. I’ve used this same process with them, and it works.
All you need..

• One maybe two MagicErasers
  • A water based detail spray, or just plain water.
  • A beer or two.
  • Some elbow grease
  • A good helper

You can also see in that picture of my helper the silver airbag surround ring had a couple nicks. I fixed that problem by accident.

Started scrubbing the cover with a damp eraser with good results, but quickly had an oh $?!& moment when I realized what I thought was the black mess from the cover smearing onto the silver ring was in fact the silver paint coming off the ring. I kept going.

It came off really easy with the eraser.. too easy and probably the reason very few don’t show scratches.

Turned out nice though. No more sticky.

The eraser isn’t abrasive enough to do any damage to the emblem, I did avoid it as much as I could though. From now on it will only be cleaned with a damp microfiber towel and will never see any conditioners or “protectants”

My helper wasn’t very impressed

I’ll wait for him to wake up before I crank up the shopvac to clean up the mess.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,240 Posts
Very cool and love the way you included your helper. I've used denatured alcohol on the airbags of 2 Lotus and it worked well but I also like your solution. Welcome to the Coven of Lotus.

Reactions: MikeG37

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Denatured alcohol with a quality lint free paper towel worked great too.

Reactions: MikeG37

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 1291468
My helper was doing a stereo head unit and sub install this weekend.
I love the magic eraser....I've used it on so many things. You just have to be careful on certain objects.
Yes you do, the airbag trim ring was one of those objects. Luckily the black plastic underneath the very light coat of silver paint that was put on them looks fine black and matches the cover.

·
Administrator
8,283 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've used denatured alcohol, didn't do a thing. Still remained sticky. Will try the Magic Eraser.
Thanks!
Just be careful with the silver ring surrounding the bag cover, unless you’re fine with it being black, the eraser makes easy work of that.. Maybe tape it off. Mine already had a few scratches I was already planning to touch up, but after hitting it with the eraser by accident and saw how easy the silver paint came off I kept going. I like the look of it black and don’t have to worry about scratching it anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts