The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents - has anyone ever dealt with a clutch pedal that physically seems to be getting stuck at the floor sometimes? Ive checked everything obvious like the hydraulics(which were both replaced new last year) and other things. This is actually the pedal assembly getting stuck at the bottom on the floor and I find that if I wipe off the back of the pedal assembly/arm that it stops the problem. Shifting is perfect - its not a clutch or clutch system problem. No leaks or fluid issues either from the master.

Im thinking maybe some of the carpet glue in that area has escaped and worked its way onto the firewall area down there? Or just years of gunk/debris/grime building up.

Just curious if anyone else has dealt with this and if just cleaning/lubricating the area thoroughly will take care of it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
A friend had an issue with his S1.

The pedal was adjusted so that it was stopping while the piston was slightly down, and not allowing the fluid pressure to leave the cylinder, so the pedal kept ratcheting down and then the clutch would slip.

Also some clutch pedals are digressive, meaning they have an over-center position. Not sure on the Esprit, haven't spent a lot of time adjusting mine, but that over-center position might be sticking due to wear of the pivot.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - I'll climb in there later today and see whats up. Will try my cleaning/lubricating method first since that *seemed* to help initially.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I was in "the Lotus position" this weekend.

I had taken out the seats to do a full cleaning of the carpets with Resolve, a firm nylon brush, and a home steam cleaner to rinse out the dirty resolve (the carpets look like new now), and it's almost a pleasure to be under there with the seats out compared to them still in the car.

Nice part is that it's only 4 bolts and the seat is out. No wires to disconnect or heavy electric seat adjustments.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was in "the Lotus position" this weekend.

I had taken out the seats to do a full cleaning of the carpets with Resolve, a firm nylon brush, and a home steam cleaner to rinse out the dirty resolve (the carpets look like new now), and it's almost a pleasure to be under there with the seats out compared to them still in the car.

Nice part is that it's only 4 bolts and the seat is out. No wires to disconnect or heavy electric seat adjustments.
Agreed - my fat ass especially aint getting down in there with the seats in. However, for my initial cleaning, I think I can get access to where I need to without removing the seats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts