The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making an active effort to actually clear the code on my car so it can be driven on the street so I'm hoping you all can help. :)

First issue was related to my oil catch can and how it was routed after leaving the can. Initially my car would shoot out a big cloud of white smoke when in high boost and then immediately quit. We narrowed it down to the tube running out from the oil catch can and after unhooking it the white cloud of smoke issue disappeared. After digging around underneath the car earlier, I discovered that there was a big kink that was making a U in the tube, which didn't look like it was allowing anything to get through.

If the route leaving the oil catch can back to the intake piping was blocked (in this case by a kink), would that result in smoke? IE, would this cause the oil blow-by or whatever would normally go through there to be forced back INTO the catch can or engine?

Going along with this, should the tube leaving the oil catch can route back into the intake pipe before the turbo? I attempted to take a couple of pictures to explain it:

Below is the "exhaust" side of the catch can, and the tube that I had unhooked which stopped the smoking:

And below is where said tube connects on the other end. This is on my intake side after the MAF but before the turbo. Is this configuration correct?

Also, I've been getting the P0455 code (mass evap leak) for as long as I can remember. I've replaced the gas cap and inspected all joints and can't seem to find anywhere where there could be a leak. Does anybody have any ideas or leads on how to go about narrowing down possible causes?

Thanks!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
If you are only concerned with passing inspection, i'm pretty sure your tuner can turn off the Evap reporting in the ECU. So no codes. But I guess you want to know why you are seeing the code in the first place.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are only concerned with passing inspection, i'm pretty sure your tuner can turn off the Evap reporting in the ECU. So no codes. But I guess you want to know why you are seeing the code in the first place.
Hmm I'm surprised my tuner didn't mention that the last time he was down here. That being said, I really don't want to have to fly him out again ($$$) if I don't absolutely have to.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
You can mail him your ECU, and have him flash the feature most likely. Much cheaper, but it does mean doing without your car a few days.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can mail him your ECU, and have him flash the feature most likely. Much cheaper, but it does mean doing without your car a few days.
I can't drive the car on public roads due to not having inspection stickers anyways so going a few days without it won't affect me much haha.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i only found out about this accidentally when i realized i had my gas cap stolen by that infamous ring of gas cap thieves, and realized i had no CEL like I should have. Phil posted and said that he said he turned off the evap during the build.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts