The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Mika Häkkinen better than Michael Schumacker??!?!?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Interesting List. I believe that many of the (early) drivers on the list were not technically Formula 1 drivers, but Grand Prix drivers. IIRC, the world championship dates to 1950 and the term "Formula 1" predates the championship by a year or two.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Surtees at 24?
WTF?
:no:

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I saw this list a while back, and personally thought that the compilers had their heads so far up their a$$es it wasn't worth posting. Just one man's opinion, though.

·
Registered
613 Posts
There are a lot of things about this ranking that I find difficult. A lot of this is so subjective. It's difficult to quantify and compare drivers from so many eras.

However, I would have put Senna first, like a couple of other people said. I can find plenty of nits to pick with this ranking, As much as I don't really like Schumi that much, and feel that his antics taint his record, it's difficult to see him outside the top five. Without question, he was the dominant driver of his era and should certainly rank ahead of Hakkinen. It's also hard to understand Moss ranking ahead of Fangio. Carlos Reutemann is probably way too high. Mansell is too low, especially vs. his main rivals: Piquet, Prost, and Senna.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I saw this list a while back, and personally thought that the compilers had their heads so far up their a$$es it wasn't worth posting. Just one man's opinion, though.
Don't worry, if there was a top 100 list of brilliant drivers that are complete douche bags... Michael S. would be at the top of the list... actually he would occupy the first 10 spots :D

Neil

·
Registered
685 Posts
Comparing drivers from different eras is always going to be difficult, as with players in any other sport.
But there can be little doubt that after Fangio retired at the end of 1957, until the time of his crash at Goodwood in 1962, Moss was head and shoulders above his contemporaries. So I for one won't quarrel with that ranking.

He was also probably the greatest all-rounder ever. Alpine Rally, Mille Miglia, Grands Prix, he was successful in them all.

The pity is that he crashed when he did, just as Jimmy Clark was starting to become truly competitive. I don't know if anything would have been resolved, since Clark would go on to get the 25, whereas Moss would always have been driving an obsolete car. Still, it's interesting to speculate.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Don't worry, if there was a top 100 list of brilliant drivers that are complete douche bags... Michael S. would be at the top of the list... actually he would occupy the first 10 spots :D

Neil
haha on a serious note

my top 5 would be
1 Schumacher
2 JM Fangio
3 Ayrton Senna
4 Jim Clark
5 Mario Andretti

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I hope this isn't your top 5 douche bag list?

If it's your top 5 best drivers...
Schumacher before Senna and Jim Clark... seriously put down the crack pipe :thwack: :D
LOL i went by world titles, its objective not subjective, haha

if i was half as good as Schumy id also be a big fat a$$hole, hahha

1 - 20 of 69 Posts