The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my first Lotus and am in need of some tire advice. It currently has the stock Ad07 front that are in great shape, but the previous owner put all season touring tires on the rear that I want to replace asap. The car has stock base wheels with touring package. I would like to stay with the stock size front tire so I know I'm limited to an ad07 in front, but my question is can I run another extreme performance summer tire like the star specs on the rear with the ad07 fronts? I can handle the cost of the ad07's on the front because they will last a lot longer than the rears, but I'd like to use a more affordable tire on the rear if possible. Thanks guys.

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,689 Posts
Tires

There's a lot of talk about tires in the 'Suspension' forum. It's a lot to read, but well worth seeing what opinions are out there. Some people mix tire brands, front/rear, but generally that's best left to experts. Adding another variable into the mix of a car that has, um, possibly abrupt transition capabilities is not what I'd want to do - especially in a car that was new to me.

Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

My .02 - when I had mileage left on my AD07 fronts, I bought AD07 rears. When it came time to replace all 4, I went with Dunlop DZ101's. I give a short explanation in this thread, also in the 'Suspension' forum -

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/anyone-using-dunlop-direzza-dz102-224754/

--Bob Collum

·
Registered
436 Posts
Common problem for sure... I replaced my rears with AD08's. Decent match for the AD07's. They have performed great.

About three months after I got them, I picked up a set of Monolites. I'd sell my barely used AD08's so I can get a matched set for my Monolites, which will be sized differently all the way around. Of course shipping probably isn't worth the hassle...

So if your interested and live close to Austin, TX...

·
hello
295 Posts
If you only drive to work or commuting then you will be fine. If you intend to drive the car fast around a turn then you need in the back something that is as good as the front or better. Otherwise you will have the rear of the car break loose first at the limit.

My suggestion, ad07 or try ad08. I have ad08 in the back with ad07 in the front and the car behaves well on street and autocross. The ad08 have a bit more grip than ad 07 so you get slightly more under steer at the limit. But that is more predictable on the street and I like it.

Otherwise change all 4 tires to something more economical.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would prefer to switch to star specs all around, but it seems like people have mixed feelings on running a 205 on a base 5.5 front wheel on how it effects handing. It will be mostly street driving with one or two track days per month.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
What about the new Dunlop 102 in LSS sizing (195/50/16 fronts). I got my car with the same tire combo as you have and never drove on it. I really don't like mix-matched tires and don't think you should cut the corners on this.

I'd rather have cheap new tires on all four corners than mixed tires. Too much at risk. You can get a second set of better rims and sticky tires down the road, and use just them on special trips/track days. Save the 102s for daily driving and taking the GF places. She'll like that better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts