The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry everyone if this has been covered before. I'm replacing the air filter on my 2005 Elise and am having issues getting the air box back together. I can't seem to get the hinge points aligned to get it closed back up. The hoses are all still attached.

Any advice? am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any help

Randy

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Yep, that's about as difficult a task as you'll find on the Elise. Good tips in that thread linked above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS SO MUCH

Its amazing what happens when you use the right technique. I didn't have a wiffel ball but a lid from a spray paint can was about the same diameter and worked just as well.

I love this forum...:bow:

Randy

·
Registered
306 Posts
IMHO the difficulty is due to the new filter's gasket ring not being as compressed as a used one.

First, try closing the airbox without a filter, if it closes without a being a huge pain it's the filter. Subsequently, make sure your filter isn't curved at all and that the gasket ring isn't messy. In my first attempt the new filter I bought had a slight bend in it, and this created a world of pain. Try another new filter if this occurs (part# 17801-22020).

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
better yet... modify the stock airbox to adapt a 2.75" cone filter like this...

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f154/blue-bomber-mod-52649/

finicky filter changes are old news now since I've done this mod myself... additionally it keeps the stock diameter MAF tube size to avoid the potential CEL light that others have gotten from aftermarket intake setups

best part is you can by any used airbox from any 2zz setup & modify it to work like the above example

1 - 6 of 6 Posts