The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What has been your expierence with leaving in your stock clutch after installing an SC or FI system? I have the replacement clutch kit and am thinking on riding the stock unit until it fails.

Will that be a short trip? I will not be tracking the car, street use only.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
i'm interested....700 mile break-in...
can you tell me more? how do you do that? just drive it normally for 700 miles?
thanks, sam

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Do all clutches have this break in period?
I upgraded to the ACT extreme, and I pretty much went out to the track....
This clutch does have a lot more bite than stock.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
This is a good question, boxerboy, thanks. I hope more people chime in with real world results. TIA

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
What has been your expierence with leaving in your stock clutch after installing an SC or FI system? I have the replacement clutch kit and am thinking on riding the stock unit until it fails.

Will that be a short trip? I will not be tracking the car, street use only.

Thanks
I've had a ORC Super single standing by for a year now waiting for the stock one to fail and it's still hasn't given it up yet. No reason to swap it until it starts to slip.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Clutch break in is very important. If you don't break it in properly you'll get clutch slip, clutch failure, chatter etc... Symptoms don't show up till after 10k for the most part. That's what I noticed with other cars I've owned.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I ran the stock clutch on my turbo for about 2 years or so. Finally noticed some slip last year in higher gears especially when making peak torque arougn 5-6000 rpm. When I pulled the cutch, wear was not an issue, it had probably glazed some and perhap the pressure plate was getting tired. Installed SPEC clutch and all is fine now, but there is some chatter on 1st gear engagement, not unusual for a more race style clutch.

I'd not bother with a clutch for initial FI install, the incremental cost to do it later is about the same as doing it initially.

·
Registered
403 Posts
i ran the stock clutch on my 06, it was fine at 9000 miles with 13 psi...not even any hot spots or discoloration...but, under high rpm and fast shifts there was a little smell and slippage...i used act street and rps segmented flywheel...works great with soft feel.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Stock clutch should last a while even with the Katana kit. Unless you have over 350 whp, anything more than an upgraded organic clutch is overkill IMO. I have the ACT street disc and it's been great for well over a year with the FF340. I don't like the pedal feel of using kevlar and carbon clutches, and misshifts with these types of clutches can cost you a new flywheel (I've had that unfortunate experience with my other car).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts