The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a question for those of you who have installed the Radium CAI---

When you pulled out the stock air box, you most likely noticed a long , rather heavy hose loosely wrapped in vinyl, with a cloth-lined interior. The parts manual refers to this hose as the Intake snorkel bypass hose, part A132E0018F, although the illustration doesn't depict it wrapped in vinyl. Was it connect to the air box on both ends?

In my case, the end of the bypass hose (circled in red) was not connected to the snorkel on the air box. Pulling the air box out of the car, it appears to have been routed downward into the engine compartment. It pulled straight out like pulling a snake out of a hole.

Whether this posed any problems I am unsure of, but it clearly is inconsistent with the diagram. As a result, hot air from the engine bay would be pulled into the snorkel bypass and contaminating the cool air flow from the main intake hose (9) routed to the LH intake duct . Also drawn into the air box would be the hot air at the other end of the bypass hose that was routed downward into the engine compartment.

I imagine the overall effect of this less-than-optimal configuration is reduced power due to warmer, less-oxygenated air used for combustion rather than from an entirely fresh air flow, as well as a higher overall engine temperature, since it's not benefiting from the cooling effect of a fully cool air flow.

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yes, mine was (still is) connected to the airbox at both ends as in the diagram. Just went to the garage and verified.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, it has to be connected!

In what i understood, it's to have a short air path and a long air path, to have better torque while in low RPM ( use the long path ) and better power in high RPM ( short path ).

So if the long path is triggered, then it goes through this little hose ( yellow circles ) , and if not it goes directly in the Airbox ( from the big hose to the air box ).

For those having the Sport Pack, i think while you press the "Sport" button, it makes you have the short access all the time ( you hear this cloncking system ).

See below a pix i took from our french garage111 forum:

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, the whole time I've been running my car with the hose disconnected.. might explain how susceptible my car was to overheating..

Hey I notice the end of the main intake hose also has a fastener.. what does it fasten to? Or is it just there for another reason?

·
Registered
40 Posts
You're right, and i think i saw the same fastener on mine, but i'm not sure it's fixing anything...
It's a spare part!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Squidward, that would certainly explain some of the problems you have posted here - overheating, limp-home mode, etc.
How come the dealer never noticed? I wouldn't expect it to have been wrong from new.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Squidward, that would certainly explain some of the problems you have posted here - overheating, limp-home mode, etc.
How come the dealer never noticed? I wouldn't expect it to have been wrong from new.
Don't know.. All I know is that I'm not surprised. The Lotus-trained technician who worked on my car no longer works at the dealership I go to (Newport European) they aren't going to do much for me anyway. I will tell them though.

Like I said, with Lotus, it's one step forward, two steps back.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The dealer never noticed because he never took the car in to them after he started having the overheating problems.

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
I agree, just throw it away or donate it to a European orphanage for car parts. EVERYTHING about the car is better with the Radium CAI!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts