The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just talked with TireRack this morning and they have listings for both sets of Elise tires although no inventory presently.

A048s are going for $176 front and $212 rear, $776/ set + shipping

Neovas are going for $163 front and $206 rear, $738/ set + shipping

No idea on delivery time.

I was told to keep checking on wheels too as they don't have anything listed yet. They had an Elise there about 3 weeks ago but the guy I was talking to was unsure whether it was just for photographs or tech measurements too.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The next step is to make sure they are the right tires. Many tires come in a variety of specs. Meaning there is more than one A048. You need the one specifically designed for the Elise.

When the S2000 came out there were two other S-02's on the market and many people got the wrong ones when ordering from TireRack, etc.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was specifically told that these were OEM replacement tires for the Elise. Not having a bad experience yet with TireRack, I would have no reason to dispute this.

I was quoted the appropriate sizes too, making it even more beleivable since there are no other tires that I could find on their site in 175/55-16.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
How about checking on some longer lasting tires to put on the LSS package wheels? As far as I recall someone mentioned 5k to 6k miles on the A048 so we could try to get something else to put on the LSS wheels for periods of time when not doing a whole lot of track days? I've been considering the Sport pack but the tire wear is going to be unbearable for a daily driver.

Fred

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
fredg said:
How about checking on some longer lasting tires to put on the LSS package wheels? As far as I recall someone mentioned 5k to 6k miles on the A048 so we could try to get something else to put on the LSS wheels for periods of time when not doing a whole lot of track days? I've been considering the Sport pack but the tire wear is going to be unbearable for a daily driver.

Fred
According to TireRack, the Dunlop SP Sport FM901 and Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 as well as a bunch of all-seasons will fit an LSS Elise. The rear tire size is very common, too bad you can't say the same thing about the fronts.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I think it's unlikely that what the Tire Rack has is anything other than the Elise-specific tires. Yokohama doesn't currently sell the Neova line in the US, and the A048 is only available in a few 18" sizes (even that is a recent addition).

I'm hoping for enough sizes to become available in the Neova that they become a legal tire for SCCA stock category. It sounds like a great combination street/rain tire.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Don't forget about the A039 which came as stock rubber on the Exige (same size as the LSS tires). It's a better "rain" tire.

Yes, the Lotus spec tires have "LTS" on them.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Where can you obtain the A039? I can't find it on the Tire Rack site.

According to the Miata.net guys (spurred on by Bob Hall, "father of the Miata") the Neova AD-06 are supposed to be the end-all, be-all daily driver wet/dry tire for the Miata. This is the 195/50-15 size, which according to Bob was designed specifically for use on the Miata, and according to information I read here was used for the front of the Elise with no changes (the 16" rears were redesigned for the Elise).

The Neovas on the 111R are the AD-07, the successor to the AD-06.

When you say it's not a real all-weather tire, do you mean snow (I wouldn't expect it to be), or heavy rain with standing water (one of the reasons I'm looking for something besides the Falken Azenis)?

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
John Stimson said:
When you say it's not a real all-weather tire, do you mean snow (I wouldn't expect it to be), or heavy rain with standing water (one of the reasons I'm looking for something besides the Falken Azenis)?
Most certainly the latter John.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Just to make sure that we're making the same comparison here, I'm asking to compare the A039 to the Neova AD-07 (or AD-06). Meat, are you actually talking about the A039 compared to the A048?

I finally found a picture of the A039. It looks like it could be good for rain, but unfortunately it looks like an extremely rare tire. That presents two problems for me: I want something that comes in enough sizes that I can run it in SCCA stock category autocrossing. I'm also concerned that it might not be DOT approved, since it's used on cars that are sold in the US for off-road use only.

On the other hand, the AD-06 LTS is DOT approved, and the cars they are meant for are also off-road only...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Just as the A048 the A039 has only been available through Lotus USA in the States.

The A039 is a better tire in the wet than the A048. I wouldn't think about either in the snow. It is probably not good in standing water, but better than the A048.

Keep in mind that the Elise has a hard time heating up tires due to the low weight - tire compound is very important.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Regarding longer lasting street tires, has anyone considered the Kumho Ecsta 712? They aren't the most expensive tire out there but it looks like they come in the right sizes. Also the Toyo T1-S comes in the right sizes. Miata drivers seem to like these due to the relatively softer sidewalls. They could be a good match for the lighter weight of the Elise?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Miata drivers also dislike the T1-S because of the soft sidewalls. It all depends on the Miata driver.

I would never, ever consider putting the Kumho 712 on the Elise. They're heavy and not very sticky. You'd have to be some kind of nut to pay $40,000+ for a car whose primary virtue is handling, then put shitty tires on it to save a few hundred bucks.

The T1-S might be a good option. Bridgestone S-03s last well, grip well, work great in the rain, but are a little heavy. The new Goodyear GS-D3 is supposed to be reasonably light, and match the S-03 pretty well in the other areas. I don't know if those tires come in reasonable sizes for the elise. Those are just a few of the best options, assuming you don't want to use the stock tires. Will we be able to get the Neova AD-07 in LSS sizes?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts