The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Remember that OBD2 is adjusting things all the time...and that there are long and short term correction tables. If you run your car all the time on crummy gas and then dump in the good stuff the improvement won't always show up as you pull out of the gas station. It can take miles and drive cycles and so forth. Some people do ECU resets to get back to the base tables without stacks of corrections.

So Adam very well may have enjoyed various benefits from the better gas. Some of this depends upon what sort of gas the car was tuned to run best with. If it's maxed out on 91 then more octane won't do much since the mixture, timing and so forth remain the same. On BMWs some of the OBD2 cars need to be evaluated statistically since it becomes even more complex. As in one run lost power but three gained power of varying amounts as the car learned wassup. And yet those changes might not always be there, but they will be more often that not... Turbo cars tend to appreciate higher octanes than NA lumps do since the in-cylinder effective compression is so high and can be turned up. More or less you need to try it out and see in many cases

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
The last 2 threads I've gone to are arguments that overflow with insults! That's it, I am dropping the OBDII and fuel injection and going back to carbs! You guys have put me over the edge!

Let the leaded fuel flow again, 1971.

Seriously, wasn't this thread about the QuickSilver exhaust? Well, I just ordered mine 20 minutes ago. Thanks Shinoo and everyone who helped me make a decision.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Having spent a lot of time dyno testing this and other variables I know for a fact that certain cars' ECUs can adapt to a higher octane, retard timing and produce more horsepower. This only holds true to a certain number. After which the returns are diminishing. 100 octane straight made marginally less horsepower than 96 octane, which made 8rwhp consistantly over my local garden variety 93.

·
Registered
76 Posts
jk\ All this talk of getting more power from your Elise by using octane/tolulene/whatever MUST STOP NOW! It is a well-known fact that adding more power to this car will unbalance it and ruin its handling capabilities! These things will happen:

1. Your track lap times will be worse.
2. Your brakes will get used up.
3. Your accelerator will become uncontrollable.
4. Your car will spin.
5. You will become fat and want to buy a Dodge Viper.
6. Your corneas will detach from your eyeballs from the increased speed.

If you are seriously considering this, and you are on a waiting list for an Elise, then remove your name from the list. If you already own an Elise, sell it now.

If you think you want more power from this car, you obviously don't "get it".

Oh, wait a sec.....this isn't the "more power" thread. Never mind! :) /jk

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thanks Stan for typing more than I could be bothered to do! I will still see what the highest octane our mapping is tuned for, but I need to dyno the new QS exhaust first. I'll post them ASAP.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Sorry the thread got hi-jacked. Just to clarify, I'm not really looking for more power with Toluene. In the A4 my VAG-Com revealed serious retarding of the timing at 1.2 BAR of boost. I was fearful of pre-detonation at temp on the track and added the toluene for safety. The extra 10hp was a "boost". As far as the Elise goes, I'm a little concerned that the gas I'm getting at the pump may not be as advertised. That's just the way I am. The Toluene ensures I'm getting at least 94-95 Octane. I've done extensive testing, it has not upset the balance in any way.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Eyelise, I hear your concerns on octane levels. But being from the industry, I can tell you there is a trememdous amount of testing and huge penalties for false advertising on octane levels.

Odds are high that the octane level is very close to advertised.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts