The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

stone chips

3K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  Rawr 
#1 ·
these stone chips in front of the rear wheels are driving me nuts. i only have 600 miles on the car and i already have several chips on either side. i'm always very careful when driving on roads with rocks on them. i avoid any stones i see in the road, but no matter what i do i get new chips almost everytime i drive the car. i guess it's inevitable, but i hate it! i do not have the starshield on my car. i took an earlier car than the one i ordered and it did not have the starshield installed. it has the smaller plastic shield. has anyone had chips touched up? i was thinking about getting the paint touched up and then having the starshield installed. any opinions?

#2 ·
I think you should have the film applied after some touch up. And that side film will need to be replaced from time to time. The Elise needs the film on the side more than it does on the front.

Here's is a PIC taken with the camera at the side scoop about midway up. The side of the car acts like a mudflap for the debris kicked up by the front tire.

A larger mudflap would help immensely.

#3 ·
For non-Starshield equipped cars, Lotus provides a film. My boss' car was delivered with it uninstalled. It was in the trunk. Now I've gotta check that area for chips. I'll get it installed at the 1500 mile service. and avoid stones in the meantime!

#6 ·
I've seen a black stone guard in fron of the rear wheels often on pics of European cars - I don't think that looks too bad - better than stone chips - I may get a pair - SELOC can help I'm sure.

Crash Test Dummy uses LOTS of painter's tape for Autocross - looks like crap but works for cone scuffs (not that he ever hits one)

#9 ·
I think I saw those black plastic stone guards on an Exige. They looked OK. Actually, they would pretty cool being that my car is silver. I want to do something before all the paint is gone. I wish I felt the way you do Barney about the "battle scars". I remember the old Star Wars toys..."battle damaged x-wing fighter". It was cool then, but they didn't cost 50k. The more I get the less it will bother me I suppose. Thank God I don't drive a Lamborghini...I'd kill myself. (but I'd take on anyway):D

#12 ·
you're probably right...it's just because it's new. I don't like driving around being so cautious...I want to have fun with it. I take it, RAWR, that you don't hold back when enjoying your Elise. That's where I want to be!:D

#16 ·
isn't it likely that LSS cars are experiencing more of the problem than the LTS cars due to the stickier tires?:)

#26 ·
true .the discusion seemed to be more about the chips on the rear of the car,not the clam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.