Votes: 12 25.0%
  • No, it's only really needed for tracked cars

Votes: 3 6.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just wondering what percentage of people thought this was a worth while option and at what price. I like the dealer option but at over 1K possibly, I hesitate.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I would vote based on $1200 for an installed factory kit.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Guys, your getting me to think about this stuff waay too much. Called a local installer. Tough for him to give a ballpark price. He did say on the high-end for a 3m kit installed ~ $1k. Consider Shinoo kit with the rocker panels cover would be out the door around $500, guess would be upper end of the install price would double that. So for the moment, dealers maybe adding another $200 for there end.
(edit) btw the installers price wasn't with rocker panels. So it may be a wash?

If it was $100 would stick with the dealer install, for $200 a bit of a toss up. Guess since I can't work them over for price on the Elise, maybe I'll try it on this end.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
andykeck said:
I guess I need final prices and package details before I decide.
Yea... What he said...

The rumored $1,200 is way too high.

For $500 - 600, I'd probably let the dealer install a "basic" kit.

For any more, I might do the kit myself...

Or skip it completely...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
971 Posts
Considering the roads around my home, I'm going for the max coverage. It will be well worth the price.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Installation costs on our kits will be less since the parts are smaller. They are much easier to apply than one large piece. Each section is then cheaper to replace if damaged.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Uk price translation for 3m film would be about 900 USD for moderate coverage if thats any guide. My car was the first S2 Elise to get armorfend on in the UK so was used for patterns and the poor owner paid about 1800 USD!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Armourfend is a total waste of money in my books. You could respray the nose 3 or 4 times for the same money which is a much better option considering the film does peel off after a while and spoils the look of the car.
UK owner

·
Registered
144 Posts
another UK owner here - Id get the front end and the sills done aftermarket if possible - the rest seems a waste.

Originally I didnt have it - too expensive factory option - about £600 over here in the UK.

After 30K miles the front clam and sills were peppered with chips etc - had a bump and got armourfend fitted with a new clam...it makes it so much easier to clean and theres not a mark on the paintwork now...however the sills are atrocious now after 48K miles.

The rest of the factory kit goes all over the place - around the locks, roof line, filler cap etc and I havnt any scratches there so it seems a waste.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts