The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running one one of the faster Lotus circuit cars out there and building as many track/race Lotus cars as we do, we've had a fair bit of experience with brakes on these cars. As it relates to the Elige/211 chassis, more than many, I'd say.

The setups we've seen, tested, and ran have varied from stock, to off-the-shelf BBKs, to totally custom setups with less conventional names in Lotus Land like Alcon. We've even worked with NASCAR calipers on these cars.

Most of the time, the setups just destroy the car's balance, are too heavy, and cost too much over time.

Getting to the point. Some of this is new and some is not.

First, read this:

Stopping a Lotus on a Dime

The links with the pretty parts are found here:

Lotus Braking

We know the "paradox of choice" can be frustrating so we've narrowed down the brand offerings to parts we know work and work very well.

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Great post.

I've always thought the Elise should stop much better than other performance cars because it has less weight, and therefore less inertia, but it turns out that it's much more involved than that, so you've got these boats that stop faster than an Exige. I mean, Audi RS/4? Really? GTR? Really?

Fast Brake: 20 Best 60 to 0 Distances Recorded by Motor Trend

But your post gets me wondering, what if you took a stock car, ran your own 60-0 numbers, then fitted your braking system with all other things remaining the same and performed the same test? I'll bet that would be an eye-opener for a lot of people. Might sell a hell of a lot of brakes too.

I could be there to take pix :D.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Cant say I disagree with any of what you wrote.
Those are some sweet spindly little calipers.
The details are a little light though. What are the piston diameters of those Radi cals compared to stock? What is the weight of the bracket and caliper compared to stock?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Bumping a bit of an old thread @turbophil you suggested the Cobalt XR3 / XR4.
It doesn't seem like much has been posted here about these. How streetable are these? How noisy?

I have the CL RC5+ now with stock brakes but I've found the braking to be inconsistent on the track and it seems to have too much front bias.

If these pads aren't streetable is there more of a dual purpose Pad setup that you'd recommend?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts