The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking the dash out of my beloved Elsie today in order to straighten out some wonky wiring going to my satellite radio. While I am at it, I think I'll add something in between the dash pieces to hopefully stop squeaks and rattles.

I have considered:

1. Electrical tape. Thin and probably squeak resistant. May not take up extra space to prevent rattles, though. Should resist heat.

2. Felt tape. Might do both jobs, but also might be too thick and appear through seams. Should also resist heat.

Two sided tape is out, as I want to be able to take it apart easily later.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the instructions are on this site.I don't need them, as I have done this 2 other times.
Do it all at once!

I used the soft part of some left over velcro. Works fine!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You might want to consider using friction tape. Autozone, electrical supply stores and other places carry it as well as some sporting goods stores as people use it to wrap their hockey sticks with it as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Requires discipline but easiest solution is to just ignore it and soon enough all the squeaks will magically disappear. Lotus isn't a peice of precision German automotive excellence, it's hand made by whinging poms. By all means try and reduce the squeaks but after than I wouldn't be too fussed, Lotuses have "character". That's why we love them.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Requires discipline but easiest solution is to just ignore it and soon enough all the squeaks will magically disappear. Lotus isn't a peice of precision German automotive excellence, it's hand made by whinging poms. By all means try and reduce the squeaks but after than I wouldn't be too fussed, Lotuses have "character". That's why we love them.
Most love the characteristics of how it drives not how the rattles sound. Fortunately for me I know have "all" the ones that some have.

·
Registered
907 Posts
You might want to consider using friction tape. Autozone, electrical supply stores and other places carry it as well as some sporting goods stores as people use it to wrap their hockey sticks with it as well.
That's what I'm going to use on mine when I find the time to take the dash apart again. I picked up some "3M Temflex" on ebay a while back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts