The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have Alcons on my Elise and was thinking of installing a big brake kit on my 01 B5 S-4 Avant. Planning to add power but want more stopping power first.
A buddy of mine has an Audi tuner shop and he is offering me a pretty sweet deal on a set of 330mm StopTech's. Does anyone have good or bad experience with these babies. He assured me that they are now sorted out and that the problems associated with the early kits are all fixed???:shrug:
Obviously this car won't see serious track duty but if the Elise breaks I may end up taking it out from time to time. I would like to make the car into my Elise tow vehicle..:D

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
based on the reviews i've heard in the Z community, they're pretty reliable and quality brake kits. They make some big setups that are pretty popular in the Z community.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Some in the RX-7 community have had issues with what feels like pad knockback on the track. May not be relevant to your design, though.

ed

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Had stoptech on my audi TT in the past. I would highly recommend them, just make sure you use the right pads for your application. Their customer service is wonderful. If they made brakes for the Lotus I'd probably run them.

Just remember that if you do take it to the track you will want track pads. the street pads will overheat and pad deposit if you use them on track, especially hauling down the heavy audi.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have that exact set up on my 01 B5 S4 and have had it on the track too. Compared to Elise stopping performance, Stoptach's on S4 don't hold a candle but compared to S4 OEM, vast improvement in feel and stopping power (particularly resistance to fade). My only problem is that the two long thin (brass I think) bolts that hold the bridge in can easily freeze over time. I had to take car in to shop once because allen head on these bolts got stripped. Began using anti-sieze which fixed the problem. That aside, I'd recommend this set up

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Great company

·
Registered
56 Posts
STi community uses both Alcon and Stoptech a lot. I warped my Stoptech rotors after only 3 passes down the front straight @ PIR and then threw them away. Go with the expensive set of Alcon and enjoy the ride, especially with the weight of your Audi.:evil::evil:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Evo guys use Stoptech when the OEM brembos aren't sufficient...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I had StopTech's on my Celica GTS and they seriously kicked ass, I swore by them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have Stoptech's on my 2001.5 S4 Avant and I love them. They are a great upgrade. My car and mods:

2001.5 Audi S4 Avant, 6 Speed, Santorin, Onyx/White; Stage 2+: AMS/ABT Chip (or X-chip, or XR-chip), APR Bipipe, 710N DVs, APR downpipes, Miltek Exhaust, AWE DTS, KW V2 Coilovers, Neuspeed Rear Swaybar, StopTech 332mm Brakes, Axxis Ultimate Pads, Piggie shifter, AWE pedals, AWE boost gauge, V1, 35% Tint, 17" Ace Lolas, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 225-45-17;

PS - Did end up buying a 2006 Elise today - now just ened to wait a few weeks for delivery.................

·
Registered
37 Posts
By the way, Audiworld is a good resource for info on your car. The search function is valuable. The crowd there is a bit more juvenile than here, but one can simply ignore the idiots. I do recommend AudiWorld over Audizine or VW Vortex for Audi info.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I purchased and installed a complete BBK from StopTech for my 350Z. They were fantastic. Impeccable construction. I used the car with those brakes for a considerable number of hours on the track without a single issue. I would buy from StopTech again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I have Stoptech's on my 2001.5 S4 Avant and I love them. They are a great upgrade. My car and mods:

2001.5 Audi S4 Avant, 6 Speed, Santorin, Onyx/White; Stage 2+: AMS/ABT Chip (or X-chip, or XR-chip), APR Bipipe, 710N DVs, APR downpipes, Miltek Exhaust, AWE DTS, KW V2 Coilovers, Neuspeed Rear Swaybar, StopTech 332mm Brakes, Axxis Ultimate Pads, Piggie shifter, AWE pedals, AWE boost gauge, V1, 35% Tint, 17" Ace Lolas, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 225-45-17;

PS - Did end up buying a 2006 Elise today - now just ened to wait a few weeks for delivery.................
What is 710N DVs and AWE DTS?
Sounds like a nice avant.
My Audi Avant list: 95 S6 Europa Blue-6spd(RS2 Trans) , 01 S4 Nogaro Blue-6spd, 02 S6 Black-tip, 02 S4 Black-tip, 05 Atlas Gray-6spd, current 01 S4-6spd Pearl White.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the feedback:D!
I had heard of issues with their kits initially but also heard that they had upgraded them. I really would like to go with the Alcons but since it is really just for daily commute or towing the Elise to the track I will try to keep the total expenditure as low as possible. Save as much $$ as possible for Lotus goodies:up:.

·
Registered
37 Posts
710N DVs: the stock diverter valvles have trouble handling the boost produced by aftermarket chips (14-17 psi). The cheapest replacement have the part number that ends in 710N - this is from a stock TT I think. Much cheaper than aftermarket DVs.

AWE DTS- both AWE and Autospeed make drive-train stabilizers that take some of the slop out of the stock shifter.

The Stoptechs, by the way, are great for track events. But the Audi is such a pig, this is why I wanted an Elise.

Nice list of Audi's!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
By the way, Audiworld is a good resource for info on your car. The search function is valuable. The crowd there is a bit more juvenile than here, but one can simply ignore the idiots. I do recommend AudiWorld over Audizine or VW Vortex for Audi info.
I have owned Audis for the last 15+ years and instruct for the quattro(Audi) Club. Audiworld has never been more than a resource for new Audi models for me. I used to cruise the S-Car web site and had all of my cars registered there before the Elise came. One of the Lotustalk members that owns an Exige was instrumental in getting S-Cars up and running and I think is still involved even though he no longer has an Audi.
Take a bow Frank!!:clap:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not familiar with the S-Cars site - will need to check it out.

Audiworld is great for aftermarket information and tuning information, in my view.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts