The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to buy a 2005 Elise in the next 2 weeks. It will be a second car, so I don't need to drive it in all weather conditions.

My issue is storage. My apartment is located in a medieval-era UNESCO World heritage site (Tallinn, Estonia) so there are no garages nearby as new construction is banned. I guess they didn't need to garage their horses 700 years ago when the town was built.

I have 2 choices: park it in my friend's detached garage that is a 20-minute drive away, or park it in a 24-hour manned secured outdoor lot that is a 2-minute walk.

The parking lot is preferable, as I'm more likely to drive the car if it's easily accessible. I've searched on this site and I see that many people recommend cal car cover for a car cover. Is there a particular model that's best for outdoor storage? What about maintaining the battery? I'd drive it at least 1-2x a week, so maybe that would be enough to keep the battery in shape.

Is my plan reasonable? That would be what I do in the summer. In the winter, it can get quite cold here, like -15C (5F). I know I will need to switch to winter tires (which are required by law here anyway), and store the summer tires in a warm place. I guess I'll store it in my friend's garage at that point. I guess I'll need a battery tender then? I'll drive it in the winter to give it a workout, as long as there's no snow on the roads. However, it's not entirely uncommon that the temperature never hits above 0C/32F for a stretch of a few weeks, in which case there may be standing snow/muck on the ground and I will prefer not to drive it then.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Use outdoor car cover. And the OEM battery can last at least two weeks easy, so at the very least, you need to drive it once every two weeks to keep the battery healthy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You'll probably be fine with the car cover during the summer. Personally, I would not want to drive the Lotus in the winter. Could you get another car for the winter and store the Lotus in your friends garage when it's cold?

Regarding the battery, I doubt you will have an issue if you drive it semi-regularly.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hard to find a house with a garage here in Okinawa due to the additional luxury taxes the Japanese Govt charges for them. For that reason I drive my car everyday and it sits outside in the rain and sun etc. I don't use a cover as it's usually a bit windy here and I don't want the rubbing damage that may occur. As long as your willing to maintain it and keep it clean you should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
PM TheViper here on LT. He has no garage and his car is outside in a parking lot 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. He has come up with a method of using several car covers and an additional alarm system to keep his Elise clean and safe.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You'll probably be fine with the car cover during the summer. Personally, I would not want to drive the Lotus in the winter. Could you get another car for the winter and store the Lotus in your friends garage when it's cold?
I agree with this plan of moving it to covered garage during the winter months. And welcome!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts