The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I know how great the Elise is on handling in the twisties, but after reading some reviews online giving the specs it seems the Elise does 0-60 mph at 5 seconds??? I've read a lot of threads on this forum with people complaining and saying don't expect to hang with other sports cars in a drag. To me 5 seconds to 60 mph is pretty damn good! I mean, that's the same numbers as say, ummm, an I6 twin turbo BMW 335i. Why do so many people down the straight line numbers??? Does the Elise really not do 0-60 mph in 5 seconds? Sorry if this is a repost...I didn't find anything like this specifically searching.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Alright so I know how great the Elise is on handling in the twisties, but after reading some reviews online giving the specs it seems the Elise does 0-60 mph at 5 seconds??? I've read a lot of threads on this forum with people complaining and saying don't expect to hang with other sports cars in a drag. To me 5 seconds to 60 mph is pretty damn good! I mean, that's the same numbers as say, ummm, an I6 twin turbo BMW 335i. Why do so many people down the straight line numbers??? Does the Elise really not do 0-60 mph in 5 seconds? Sorry if this is a repost...I didn't find anything like this specifically searching.
Under 5 with a standing start.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
the 0-60 is fast because of how well they can launch... granted its not that hard to make them fast in a straight line

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
from 0-60 the cars are great now try from a rolling start, the lack of TQ against even a mere STI or EVO would get you smoked LOL

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
0-60 times are a very touchy subject for us Elise owners and it's critics.

Are they capable of doing 0-60 in under 5 seconds - *Absolutely.
but as mentioned, it requires a launch that requires revving up the RPM's considerably high and "dropping" the clutch in a somewhat unhealthy manor.

But because they're not high hp/torque cars, their rolling/5-60mph times aren't quite as spectacular compared to 6/8+ cylinder cars that produce tons of power the moment you punch the accelerator.

They're still fun as hell and quite zippy, but drag racing isn't what these cars were meant for.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
0 - 60 is meaningless
for straight line performance i prefer to use 1/4mile times as a guideline :D

on "paper" a bonestock S is said to go 12.8sec...thats darn generous, im thinking more in the 13.2sec range

nevertheless for a 4cylinder its pretty darn good

on paper my mom QP with 380hp is said to go 13.9sec
and my step dads srt8 with 425hp 13.5sec

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i have noticed i don't have any trouble keeping up (power onto a straight) with, say, a 550 maranello, from ~50-100. its pretty quick - deff starts wheezing after 100...

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Yeah, all modern Lotus cars are super slow. Clearly we need to sell all of them and buy Cobalt SS-es. rotfl

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If you want a drag racer, find something else. Lots of better options for under $25k. I would not be thrashing a Lotus in stoplight races. Get an SRT-8 300 or a Ford Lightning truck and soup it up for that .... there is a 10-second 300 on sale for $25k on the 300 forum right now. Smoke just about any Lotus and take your family along for the ride. For Sale: First 10 second 300C SRT-8 in the world - Chrysler 300 Forum - 300 - 300C - SRT8

Trounce Z06s, Nobles, Porsches, Ferraris, and many bikes -- you name it for $25k. Just don't take her into the twisties.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
There's a lot of reasons for this...

There is a very peaky power band and it's relatively weak underneath the peak, unlike a BMW 335i. You can be fast, but you have to remain at high revs constantly. The Lotus Sport ECU or a comparable ECU tune will help you do this as it lowers the cam switchover point and you will make power sooner.

If you're at 3-4000 RPM and gun it, you won't be going anywhere fast, whereas a 335i is right in the meat of its powerband.

Also, because of the lack of power, the top end really blows.

So yes you can be as fast as a 335i if you're a good driver, but only if you're doing drag launches and really hard driving. In real world driving, there's no contest.

BTW, C&D tested an NA Elise at 4.4 seconds to 60 ;) That's as good as a Ferrari 360 Modena.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I get beat by school buses and ice-cream trucks (those things are fast!) all the time, but what the heck.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ahhh, I see. It's the rolling start that's the problem. Still, when I took a test drive in the Elise 2 weeks ago it felt very "punchy" from rolling around 30 to 40 mph. Of course coming from a heavy ass 528 anything feels punchy and fun. Hell, the little mini wagon Audi makes, the A3 with the 2.0T engine, even put a smile on my face with the power that thing has. The Elise in the curves was by far the most impressive on the test drive though for sure.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Everything is relative. When I first test drove the Elise, I was driving a 2006 BMW 325ci convertible and the Elise was the fastest car I had ever driven. Now I'm used to it and I don't see it as all that fast.

"Good" thing about the Elise is that going fast in one is more thrilling than going fast in other machines. I say "good" because it's also a lot more dangerous and you must be careful.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
for straight line performance i prefer to use 1/4mile times as a guideline :D
I prefer 0-100-0. Wish more mags would start using it. But might as well wait for the USA to switch to the metric system (which I also wish for).

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
last time i saw my ecu dump(December) my fastest 0-62 was 5.4 sec. i have since added a blower.:evil: i expect to see next time of 5.0 or under.

as to keeping up with other cars just yesterday i was running with a 360, and 911tts plus vetts. it was a pack of 8 cars. quite a few times the road opened up and we all got on it. up till about 100 i did a great job of keeping pace. as the speed increased,(100+) 2 things happened, the 911s pulled a bit and i let off a bit. faster i go the more room i want between cars in front of me. when i was behind the m6, and the 360 i could only press the peddle 95% as if i went 100% i gained on them too fast and would have to tap the brakes.

also. from a dead stop last month i paced a 08 viper from 0-50.

note 3 months, i was running with a older viper(o4/05) maybe and it pulled on me every time(between 65- 100mph). no questions.

all the above happened on a closed privet track.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
over 80 the NA falls flat. Around twisties in second cam and passing by outdoor reasturant patrons with the stage II popping and burbling is the best part of the car. Of course I had the same effect in the Mas. spyder. Hmm this thread just made me realize I need more excitement.

·
Registered
244 Posts
But might as well wait for the USA to switch to the metric system (which I also wish for).
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm with you on that. I'm teaching my 5-year old how to use a tape measure and trying to explain the whole multiply by 12 nonsense makes me realize how ridiculous it is that we're still stuck on this archaic system. So... gave him my metric-english tape measure. Hopefully he'll be bilingual, but it sure confuses my wife.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Who cares ? :shrug:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts