The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Turbo Elise
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the car in its current state is way too tame. Car is turbo-swapped and exhaust is a full 3in hand made, cat-less into a pretty stout MF can with dual out. Also the exhaust blow off is external into a separate resonated pipe not into the main exhaust. It is super quiet and has a deep resonance to it. But I have two issues....
1. it sounds way too tame for the power the car makes
2. The tonal resonance gives me migraine headaches after about 35-45min....expecially with the hard top on. I had the same issues with my 4C and an aftermarket resonated exhaust. Sounds glorious till my head started hurting. OEM the 4C 1.7 ltr with the optional race exhaust has no muffler so I switched it to straight pipe and my headaches went away so.....

I was thinking of having a drop in 3in turbo back split into the current due exit to replace the current huge muffler can. Will it sound like trash? What you guys think :unsure:

·
Administrator
11,922 Posts
tonal resonance = fancy name for DRONE

Reactions: ehagerty

·
Registered
223 Posts
So the car in its current state is way too tame. Car is turbo-swapped and exhaust is a full 3in hand made, cat-less into a pretty stout MF can with dual out. Also the exhaust blow off is external into a separate resonated pipe not into the main exhaust. It is super quiet and has a deep resonance to it. But I have two issues....
1. it sounds way too tame for the power the car makes
2. The tonal resonance gives me migraine headaches after about 35-45min....expecially with the hard top on. I had the same issues with my 4C and an aftermarket resonated exhaust. Sounds glorious till my head started hurting. OEM the 4C 1.7 ltr with the optional race exhaust has no muffler so I switched it to straight pipe and my headaches went away so.....

I was thinking of having a drop in 3in turbo back split into the current due exit to replace the current huge muffler can. Will it sound like trash? What you guys think :unsure:
When you say "exhaust blow off" I'm assuming you are talking about the external wastegate with the dump tube. Are you saying the dump tube has a resonator on it? I've not seen that done before. With external wastegates that use a dump tube that should be the only thing you hear when it opens up and are typically loud AF.

I built my car similar to who you got yours from.
Mine has a 3" turbo back exhaust, G-Sport CAT and a straight through Burns Stainless muffler. I also have an external wastegate with a dump tube. Mine sounds anything but tame especially when the wastegate opens. All turbo cars should be built this way :)
IMHO, I wouldn't do a non-muffler exhaust.

·
Registered
2005 Turbo Elise
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say "exhaust blow off" I'm assuming you are talking about the external wastegate with the dump tube. Are you saying the dump tube has a resonator on it? I've not seen that done before. With external wastegates that use a dump tube that should be the only thing you hear when it opens up and are typically loud AF.

I built my car similar to who you got yours from.
Mine has a 3" turbo back exhaust, G-Sport CAT and a straight through Burns Stainless muffler. I also have an external wastegate with a dump tube. Mine sounds anything but tame especially when the wastegate opens. All turbo cars should be built this way :)
IMHO, I wouldn't do a non-muffler exhaust.
Yes instead of it dumping into the exhaust it is external and he has a resonator on the end of it to quiet it down. I will shoot some pics of it tonight. My muffler is not straight thru it is a big MF single in dual out can like his original design here. But he since changed it and took out the pre resonator can and put in a pipe. I circled what he removed....
Automotive exhaust Household hardware Gas Auto part Nickel

·
Registered
2005 Turbo Elise
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are the pic's of the external waste gate dump......I guess now I understand why my twin turbo M4 goes Brrrrraaapppppp when I let off throttle as it blows off into the exhaust system. The other thing I want to do is add a little over-run to the tune somehow

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Vehicle Hood Muffler

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle

Gas Household hardware Auto part Metal Machine

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Carbon Rim

Automotive tire Bumper Tread Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
Adding lightness with an angle grinder.
267 Posts
Interesting..... My solution to drone on the turbo Spyder. Should be enough room to replicate in a S2. It doesn't really matter if the divert path is restrictive as long as the open path is free flowing.

Musical instrument Light Automotive exhaust Bicycle part Wind instrument

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior Gas Cylinder

·
Registered
223 Posts
Here are the pic's of the external waste gate dump......I guess now I understand why my twin turbo M4 goes Brrrrraaapppppp when I let off throttle as it blows off into the exhaust system. The other thing I want to do is add a little over-run to the tune somehow

View attachment 1317938
View attachment 1317941
View attachment 1317942
View attachment 1317939
View attachment 1317940
I've never seen a dump tube with a resonator on it. The PO muat have really been wanting to control sound. Do you not hear it open when you go wide open throttle?
For clarification, the wastgate controls boost pressure allowing exhaust to by-pass the turbine. So the wastegate opens mostly at higher throttle positions and wideopen throttle. All OEMs use turbos with internal wastegates (except for Porsche 930's).
The blow off valve is what releases compressed air from the intake when the throttle is quickly closed.
If you want loud at wide open throttle, I would get rid of the resonated dump tube and build a new one that turns down and goes straight down through the diffuser. This is how I did mine.
If the exhaust is too drony, maybe try something straight through.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts