The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an Elise for 3 years now. Within the last week I noticed that sometimes while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd I feel much less resistance than usual going into 2nd gear. Usually I feel some resistance and notchiness before the gear lever finally goes into gear. When the "problem" happens it I don't much resistance at all, and no notchiness, it feels like I missed the gear, but it is in gear.

Any ideas what is going on?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Chris have you just gotten really good at rev-matching before moving the lever into place? The closer you are to the right rpm, the less work the synchronizers have to do.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
It's gotten better and you're complaining?
rotfl

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
One day at the track last year, I went from the typical knotchiness to a vague feeling, followed by an inability to determine whether the car was in gear or not. Turned out all that driving on a hot track in my turbo car had lead to heat soak and literal melting of the sheath around the transmission cables. Replaced them and placed a lot of heat sheild around them and now it's fine. I don't know if this is your problem or not but it sounds vaguely familiar.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I am trying to rev match, but I'm not double clutching so I didn't think the rev matching would make it easier to move the lever, just less slipage/jerking when the clutch engages.

I'd take consistent over occaisionally better any day. Just wondering if it is an early indication of a problem since I only have a few days of warentee left.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Pull your console and check all the fasteners. I had a similar issue when the car was under warranty. Turns out the dealer in California that did the shifter recall did a sloppy job and some of the shifter fasteners were coming loose. Dealer in Atlanta put it back right.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I had a similar problem with the horizontal bolt in the shifter coming loose. Pull the tunnel and check out the torque on the bolts, the cable ends, etc.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Give it to me for a couple of sessions at MSR and I'll get her to grind!
:wave:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Car is fixed. Overseas had to replace a shift cable under warrantee. Shifting feels better than new now.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Nice.

Show of hands... how many people picked their car up from Overseas today?

:coolnana:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Glad to know I was right, yet again.:cool:
umm. see post #2, you know, three prior to yours...
cables?
try searching some combo of
cable* tran* shift*
-poke-

oh, and this make two expert internet mechanic diagnoses for me today. :clap: (the catastrophic oil leak thread is the other)

:nanner:

;) ;) ;)

too bad i can't fix things in real life.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
umm. see post #2, you know, three prior to yours...

-poke-

oh, and this make two expert internet mechanic diagnoses for me today. :clap: (the catastrophic oil leak thread is the other)

:nanner:

;) ;) ;)

too bad i can't fix things in real life.

I'm sorry ace, I thought you were probably ignoring me.

No, I'm not sure what that means, really, I just had nothing else brighter to say.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts