The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering assembly is making a strange clunk noise as I turn it or hit a bump. This is new as of yesterday, and I'm not sure if it is the excessive heat in Arizona right now, or something is loose? As I turn the wheel it clunks gently, and sometimes over bumps.
Not sure if this is an isolated incident or if someone else has experienced this.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Oh mine has been doing this for three years. Everyone tells me it's a steering rack since my ball joints are all tight. I'll worry about it when it gets worse. Mine only does it when it is hot outside (hot for upstate NY, like 85+). Keep on motoring!

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check out Secret Service Motorwerks, if you want to take it somewhere, I'm sure he can help.
https://www.facebook.com/SecretServiceMotorwerks?fref=nf

Besides the steering rack I'd vote on this thread:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/little-clunks-steering-not-steering-rack-thread-78381/
I just had a front suspension clunk and it turned out to be a mix of ungreased swaybar bushings and the passengers side top coilover bracket had two bolts back out.
Fantastic link, thank you :up: I will have to wait a week or two to year into this. Between all the projects I did last weekend to the Lotus, my fiancé is starting to hint that I need to redirect some of my attention :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine too. Looked under to see if anything was loose or broke. Was going to post about it. Hadn't happen before. Hopefully just the heat.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I said I would look into mine when it got worse. That time is now :) Now it does it all the time and I can hear a defined gear on gear tooth sound as I turn the wheel. Definitely steering rack. Is there a backlash adjust on these or no?

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
I had replaced my rack think that was it, but mine ended up being the bolts at the U-joint on the steering column before it goes through the chassis wall. They weren't that loose either maybe a fraction, but it was enough to allow the u-joint to clunk upon bumps or undulations in the road. I used an allen key and snugged them up the best I could and seems to have worked. Clunks are gone and its been over 6 months without the clunks.

Cheers

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've had similar clunking for at least 10,000 miles. It is mostly noticeable only when the ambient temp is hot, which isn't all that often in Portland. I've been all through my suspension and everything is tight. I've just stopped worrying about it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had replaced my rack think that was it, but mine ended up being the bolts at the U-joint on the steering column before it goes through the chassis wall. They weren't that loose either maybe a fraction, but it was enough to allow the u-joint to clunk upon bumps or undulations in the road. I used an allen key and snugged them up the best I could and seems to have worked. Clunks are gone and its been over 6 months without the clunks.

Cheers
That's my next thing to check! I don't get the gear-grinding feel as mentioned in another post and its not only when the car is turning. I can also feel it in the steering column; I originally thought my steering wheel adapter (i have a MOMO) was a tick loose. It doesn't matter if I'm going straight or turning, bumpy or smooth road... so I'm going to make sure its all tight before ordering a rack.

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
Now that I think about it... A few years back I had a clunking/clicking when turning. It turned out to be a worn bushings on my front upper a-arms. They were significantly worse than the lowers at the time. I replaced them and my rack at the same time and the clunks disappeared until the u-joint started clunking(as mentioned above) a year or so later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts