The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as many of you know my engine was destroyed by some idiots that stole my car before. As part of the repair they put in a new (rebuilt) engine which has been running great for about 500 miles.

Yesterday my car started to make an odd grinding/rattling noise. It started in the morning and was gone by the time I got to work. It happened again on the way home and again this morning.

It seems to be worst when the car is cold and goes away after a while. It appears when I left off the gas, not when I press it and is worst when turning.

At first I thought it was the transmission, a joint or bearing but it happens with the clutch in and in neutral and I can partially recreate it when parked in neutral though it is much worse when driving. Here's a quick video I made. It was warm already so not as bad as when cold.

Any ideas on what it is? Timing chain?

Thanks!
Chris

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
You're right, that's a strange engine noise. I've never torn open a 2ZZ except for the valve cover and oil pan, but if it were mine I'd be suspicious of the timing chain. There is a chain vibration dampener just opposite from the chain tension slipper, I wonder if that might be the source of the noise? Was the noise louder on the timing chain side of the engine? I've attached a page from the Toyota engine manual showing the component locations.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're right, that's a strange engine noise. I've never torn open a 2ZZ except for the valve cover and oil pan, but if it were mine I'd be suspicious of the timing chain. There is a chain vibration dampener just opposite from the chain tension slipper, I wonder if that might be the source of the noise? Was the noise louder on the timing chain side of the engine? I've attached a page from the Toyota engine manual showing the component locations.
It's hard to pinpoint the exact location but I was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: it was just the evap pump hose had come off. Not sure how I missed that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts