The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been trying to look at pictures and do searches in this forum and on google to find out a little something about my front clam.
Its a bit hard since i dont know what those "flaps" down bottom in the front is called. im talking about those thingies down where the splitter would sit.

my car is a 2005 federal elise. and those "thingys" im talking about is just simply glued to the front clam. on my old car, wich was a 2003 european version, they were more built into the clam.

I'm wondering is this normal!? why is it this way on my car?
its not really pretty tbh.

and another question.
i've seen two versions of the "hood" on the elise 2005s.

some are like this:
Lotus_Elise.jpg

and others access panels arent that steep, like this one:

anyone care to elaborate why and what makes the difference?

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
They should be built into the clam, not glued on, maybe the previous owner put those protectors over them? Got any pictures?

The access panels should look like the second arctic silver elise - Not as steep as the other one

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Looks like painted Lotus chin guards to me :shrug:. If that is the case, the little "flaps" you are referring to are under the guards. They just serve a sacrificial protective function. You scrape the guards instead of that area of the clam. When they no longer cosmetically meet your approval, remove and replace them (or just remove them). They are clear but can be painted to match the body color.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The little protrusions are often called Winglets.

Which are VERY prone to scrape when exiting/entering driveways, thus damaging the front clam in an unpleasant way :( (like this)
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/83399-post1.html

So the easiest way of preventing scraping the clam is to stick something on top of it
and it appears that the person that you purchased your Elise from did so.
(which is also a cost effective way to cover up previously damaged winglets rather than having to fix the fiberglass)

Here's another link to some others guys solutions to prevent scrapings (just do a search for "winglet"
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/front-clam-protection-kit-40002/

Considering how easy it is to scrape, it's more of a good thing you have those winglet covers than not.

I've had a couple slight scrapes, and now considering getting a splitter or something just to prevent it from happening again.
the sound of scraping fiberglass really sucks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
I've been trying to look at pictures and do searches in this forum and on google to find out a little something about my front clam.
Its a bit hard since i dont know what those "flaps" down bottom in the front is called. im talking about those thingies down where the splitter would sit.

my car is a 2005 federal elise. and those "thingys" im talking about is just simply glued to the front clam. on my old car, wich was a 2003 european version, they were more built into the clam.

I'm wondering is this normal!? why is it this way on my car?
its not really pretty tbh.

and another question.
i've seen two versions of the "hood" on the elise 2005s.

some are like this:
View attachment 122434

and others access panels arent that steep, like this one:

anyone care to elaborate why and what makes the difference?
The difference is that the 2003 Elise doesn't have ABS and powered brakes and therefore has lower access panels as in the first picture :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts