The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my neck of the woods, spring was late to non existent and now that the summer heat has come early, both door hinges on my Elise are squeaking. This despite having sprayed oil on them over the winter. They are fine first thing in the morning and as the temps rise and driving the car heats that area too, they are making awful dry sounds. Anyone else have this problem? Other than spraying the hinge top and bottom, any trick to get lube where it counts? Both doors have minimal movement up and down so the the bushings are OK. Thanks

·
Registered
289 Posts
spraying the hinge with oil usually does not get to the squeaky parts
either lube the spring plate in front of the hinge by using a long bendy applicator without having to remove the body panel...or...
you can easily take out top and bottom bushings, lube with silicon grease or replace with new bushings. do one at a time so you don't need to readjust the door.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
I often use a liquid borne lubricant. Liquid get lube to move down tight spaces and evaporates so it won't attract/hold dirt & dust.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys Los, I see what you mean by getting at the bushings fairly easy. Right now, I'm trying my favorite general lube, Krown T40 but if it fails to get in where needed, step two will be manually lubing the bushings. Funny, at lower temps (23 C or 74 F), no issue at all, just when the temps rise is there an issue - both sides too.

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
That product seems to be more for anti-rust. Just as I wouldn't use WD40, I wouldn't use this as a lube.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Totally agree with not using WD40. However, I have found that Krown T40 is an excellent general purpose shop lube.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Funny this thread came up, I was working on mine the other day and noticed my passenger door squeaked when I went to close it, never happened before. Lifting up on the door when closing seem to relieve the issue, and then I went to close it normally a few minutes later and it was gone, hasn't done it since. It was out in the sun when I was working on it, so that might have been why as someone else stated earlier in here temp seems to affect it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Success! The noise was not from the well oiled hinges but the black friction material that I assume dampens the door opening. Some lithium grease along the full edge and no noise at all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
False success, it was not the black friction (door restraint hinge plate) after all. Time to take the hinges apart & proper lubing them up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I finally dived in to correct the issue. I must say, that area of the car is sure nice to work on. With the lower front fender extensions removed, getting at the hinge bushings was a piece of cake. Hint, especially for the top one, re-install the bushing with the door closed, it is much easier to get the retaining bolt in. I found that all the lubes I had sprayed/applied had worked their way into the bushings so lubrication was not the issue. However, I did clean them up and grease them with synthetic brake grease. But the fact that the bushing turn on plastic inserts probably means that no lube is necessary. No problem, the synthetic grease is kind to plastic.
What I did find that the horrible noise was indeed coming from the friction of the door restraint plate against the hinge itself. On the attached pic you can see some wounds on the hinge, likely the source of the noise. All cleaned up and greased and they are as quiet and smooth as the the day it rolled out of the factory.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts