The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a strange issue with my 2005 Elise. When driving over expansion joints in road or pothole the engine seem to shut off for like a have second, does not stall. I've done some checking and can't located problem. Does this sound like a MFRU???

·
Premium Member
11,705 Posts
Yes, and ground from battery too. All grounds.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Drove again today and did same thing-like a cylinder dropping out just over a bump. Checked all mentioned and performed wiggle test with nothing. I've heard the MFRU will cause intermittent hard/no start since . Does it cause any other problems? They are cheap, I should just buy one.

·
Premium Member
11,705 Posts
IIRC, there is an intermediate battery connection. Ck that too.

How clean are terminal & cables?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Is it possible for the battery to have an internal short over rough roads? Stock battery or gel-cel?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, will check other battery cables, it is a gel battery. I don't think it's the battery since lights don't flicker when this happens, seems like a fuel or ignition issue. I know the MFRU controls fuel. I did die on me twice today when coming to a stop and started right back up, no codes stored.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I had a similar problem. I had larger injections installed. The splice was bad on one cylinder and I would get blip of power loss at full throttle going over a bump.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All stock injectors. My second thought was to look at the inertia switch. I guess the only way to check is to tap it while running.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
All stock injectors. My second thought was to look at the inertia switch. I guess the only way to check is to tap it while running.
Better yet, unplug it and wire in a jumper wire. Check the junctions blocks though at the bottom of the firewall below the ECU and the ground near the ECU, too.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wiggle wires when the engine is running. Especially coil pack and injector wires/plugs.

I had a couple of coil wires break just before the plug. The harness was quite hard around there.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My 06 did something similar but only with the AC on. Found a TSB from Lotus that the AC control module had a short and would reset the ECU. TSB said it only effected a few early 06 cars but thought it was worth a mention.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fixed it!! I ordered MFRU and Inertia switch. The inertia switch arrived first so I installed it. I drove the car for 4 days on the same road where I know exactly when it will happen and it has not happened at all since replacing the switch. The connectors were clean and don't know how this simple magnetic switch will cause the issue without tripping. I will replace the MFRU this weekend just because. Thanks everyone for your help!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts