The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to work today I noticed a new noise coming from behind me. At around 2K - 3K revs at any gear (well 2 - 6) there is this wet sounding spinning/whistling noise. I'm not much of a gearhead so I don't know much at all about this stuff.

Thoughts? Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I swear it's the valve in the airbox between opening and closing and it makes a weird winying noise from 3-5k rpm in medium throttle and backing off. What ever, doesn't sound very sexy but it's still running good. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I have this too, wierd scratchy sound when just kind of slightly letting off 4500-6k rpm maybe?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I have this too, wierd scratchy sound when just kind of slightly letting off 4500-6k rpm maybe?
Have owned 3 Elise's and an Exige and all make this sound.

:tadts:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I said the belt tensioner because I had a noise very similar to what you guys are describing. It had to be replaced. I had ~9500 miles on it. You may want to look into it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My car has about 23K miles.

No noise when revving the engine at a stand still. No noise when coasting to a stop. Only seems to come out when the car is in gear. But I will have the belt tensioner looked at.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I said the belt tensioner because I had a noise very similar to what you guys are describing. It had to be replaced. I had ~9500 miles on it. You may want to look into it.
good bet. the toyota belt tensioner on my spyder also required replacement. i hear a similar singing tone on the elise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
yep, I hear the same thing in my 07 elise. Definitely did not make it when it was bought. Best I can remember it started around 3k miles. Car has about 5k on it now

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yeah mine started around 8700 miles. But what was really strange it was right after picking it up from Criswell after they had it for 3 wks. I felt like they wanted me back in there for more thining wallet service. But after that ordeal I wasn't ever going back to them. :mad:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Just noticed the same thing with my car within the last couple of weeks. I am dropping it off at the local Lotus dealer for other warranty work. I'll specifically ask them to check the belt tensioner out. I'm glad I saw this thread. Thanks Icedog et al.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
They ALL have this sound. My Elise AND Exige had it - until I put Stage II exhausts on... Now I can't hear a thing! ;)

·
shay2nak
24,979 Posts
They ALL have this sound. My Elise AND Exige had it - until I put Stage II exhausts on... Now I can't hear a thing! ;)

LOL it might be bad not to hear the car, you might not hear a rattling noise then have something important fall off.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
LOL it might be bad not to hear the car, you might not hear a rattling noise then have something important fall off.
You could have your entire engine rattling, buzzing, screeching, screaming and grinding and there's no way you'd be able to hear it with that exhaust you have! :bow:

Trust me - I've driven behind you. -poke-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts