The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Elise
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this weekend that my passenger Fan is not running when I think it should be. The car is not overheating (101 degrees outside, AC on, sitting in traffic, ECT is 195-205). I do have a larger alum radiator. The driver side fan does work.

What should I test? troubleshooting procedure? I take it a fan replacement requires clam removal?

The car is fairly new to me (4 months), but I am mechanically inclined and can do whatever is needed.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Here is the paragraph on temps from the S2 shop manual:

The cooling fans are switched as a pair, and will operate at half speed (connected in series) when coolant temperature
reaches 98°C on rise, and switch off at 94°C on fall. The fans will also operate at half speed irrespective
of coolant temperature if the a.c. is switched on and the compressor is running. If coolant temperature rises to
103°C, the fans will switch to full speed (connected in parallel), reverting to half speed at 98°C.

It seems you have an issue. The clam does need to come off and the radiator needs to come out to get at the fans (if indeed they are still in the original spot under the radiator/condenser sandwich).

·
Registered
2005 Elise
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the paragraph on temps from the S2 shop manual:

The cooling fans are switched as a pair, and will operate at half speed (connected in series) when coolant temperature
reaches 98°C on rise, and switch off at 94°C on fall. The fans will also operate at half speed irrespective
of coolant temperature if the a.c. is switched on and the compressor is running. If coolant temperature rises to
103°C, the fans will switch to full speed (connected in parallel), reverting to half speed at 98°C.

It seems you have an issue. The clam does need to come off and the radiator needs to come out to get at the fans (if indeed they are still in the original spot under the radiator/condenser sandwich).
Thanks for the reply, looks like the clam will be coming off this evening

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I don't have it in my head but I could look this evening what the fusing structure looks like. I don't know if the fans are on separate fuses or relays.

I do know that the connectors are inside the space that holds the ac/heater stuff (i.e. visible with removing the radiator).

The worst part of clam removal for me is getting the headlights out. Two primary bolts are hidden there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Elise
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Solved: The plug to the Fan module was burnt and not making a connection. I jumped these wires and it works as it is supposed to. Now does anyone know where I can buy a new plug? This is the larger plug to the fan control module. (not my image, looks the same though)

plug is a TE 344079-1 Econoseal 250 series plug. If anyone has a source, please let me know

1 - 6 of 6 Posts