The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving yesterday and came to a stoplight I was planning to turn red on. After I stopped the check engine light started flashing, the oil light came on, and the car shut off. I do know if I stalled the car or what, but it started back up with no problems and I drove it for another 15 minutes and everything was fine. Anything I should check on or be worried about?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I was driving yesterday and came to a stoplight I was planning to turn red on. After I stopped the check engine light started flashing, the oil light came on, and the car shut off. I do know if I stalled the car or what, but it started back up with no problems and I drove it for another 15 minutes and everything was fine. Anything I should check on or be worried about?
Maybe a dumb question, but have you checked your oil level?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Was the fuel low? Slight left turn approaching light? This happened to me when pulling into a gas station and scared me until I read the threads on fuel tank design / fuel starvation issues.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Did you have the AC on? I remember some weird problem with the AC relay shorting.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I know it started and cleared it's self, but it should be noted that a flashing check engine light indicates that the car should not be driven.
Michael

·
Registered
685 Posts
I note you were planning to turn red. I think the car helped you get embarrassed!

·
Registered
937 Posts
How many miles on it? Funny that when the 05's first came out they stalled alot at lights. If the check engine light didn't really stay on after restarting I wouldn't be too concerned if this is the only time it has happened but if it happens more might be worth seeing if there's a code stored in the ecu with a obd II reader.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update
I was starting the car in my garage after letting it sit for 3 days and it sputtered and died. Guess the shutoff before was real and not me stalling it. Any ideas on the problem or what to check? I'm going to get the codes this afternoon, could I maybe have a wiped cam?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Similar problem, but no flashing light. It was a stuck thottle body, which was not an uncommon problem.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
my '06 elise only does it with the A/C on.
as charliex mentioned, it's probably a ECU reboot.
sam

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
on mine, it is usually during driving along, never did it stop when idling.
i suspect it's (in my case) an electrical spike from the relay or the clutch winding. (on the compressor) did it twice today.
the clutch winding does have a fair amount of inductance and can make a spike that may get thru to the ECU. .............speculation.
i'm too lazy to put a snubber on the clutch winding unless it causes me real grief.
others may have a totally different problem and manifestation.
sam

1 - 18 of 18 Posts